Old 07-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Paul R.

Default Gas line trimmers - need opinions.

My 31cc Craftsman line trimmer crapped out on me, so it looks like I'm in
the market for a new one.

Took a look at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, and the local small engine shop.
Not in the business, so I don't need an Echo or any built for commercial
use, just a reliable quality trimmer that can be used for 20 minutes or so
once a week.

I want a straight shaft model, and like the theory of the trimmers that have
different attachments (edger, brush trimmer, etc), but don't know how
reliability factors into these.

I'm trying to stay near or under $150.

So far, I've looked at:

Homelite
Toro
Craftsman
Troy-Bilt

Troy-Bilt looks the best so far, but I was hoping to get some opinions.

Any input?

--

Paul R.

Old 07-07-2003, 06:44 PM
zxcvbob

Paul R. wrote:
[...]

Get the smallest Echo SRM series you can find with a straight shaft. I
don't know the current model numbers, but probably something like SRM-2100.
I have an SRM-2200 that I bought over 15 years ago and it's still going
strong. And they will take a metal weed blade if you ever need it. Should
cost you less than $200.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 07-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Phisherman

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:23:23 -0500, "Paul R."
wrote:

[...]

I've been using a "Weedeater" brand for over 10 years for a half-acre
lot. I think I paid about $60 for it. It gets used every week and it
keeps going. I like that fact that parts and accessories are readily
available, but it has not needed repair. I've tried an electric
model, but it just does not have the power.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Chuck

I have one of the cheapo homelite string trimmers. I have had it for several
years and have no complaints. I don't do any maintenance or winterizing on
it, yet it starts perfectly every time, and gets the job done.

When I was looking at trimmers, I also looked at the multi-function units
that have different attachments. I realized that the various attachments
cost nearly as much as a brand new individual unit. For example, if I
remember correctly, the hedge trimmer attachment for the string trimmer cost
about as much as a brand new hedge trimmer all by itself.

I also have one of the cheapo homelite gas leaf blowers. It has also been
quite reliable, but since moving into a new house with a larger yard (3/4
acre) this blower is inadequate. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good,
higher powered blower? When I looked around last year, there seemed to be a
jump from consumer models in the $70 - $150 range, to more powerful
professional models in the $300 range.

While I'm at it, does anyone have any opinions on those big leaf vacuums on
wheels versus leaf blowers? The vacuum idea seems more attractive to me, but
the fact that you never see professionals using them makes me think that
they aren't as effective or efficient.

phew- a simple reply turned into a bunch of questions...!

Old 07-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Jan Flora

In article , zxcvbob
wrote:

Paul R. wrote:
[...]

Yep. I used a small Echo commercially (cutting fire breaks around homes) for
years and never had a problem with it. I've never had a bad tool built by Echo.

Jan

Old 07-07-2003, 09:20 PM
dicko

wrote:

[...]

Whichever you get, DONT get Ryobi. I swear at mine everytime I use it.
It starts fine and runs reliably, but it absolutely wont bump feed new
trim string... I've tried everything and judging by all the comments
on google, others have this problem too.

In my opinion the replaceable attachments arent a good idea. Mine has
them and i consider it to be horribly underpowered for anything but
weed cutting... I just cant see it edging or snow-throwing without
bogging down. It also seems to introduce a mechanically unstable
connection point on the main shaft that seems to create a resonance
that sets the whole unit wobbling horribly when pressing the
throttle.

dickm
Old 07-07-2003, 09:20 PM
John DeBoo

Paul R. wrote:
[...]

I've a Homelite that we bought at Harbor Freight, a reconditioned
one for like $69. I've had it several years and it works great.
Son has the same model, loves it. Starts by the 4th pull everytime
I use it when cold, always the 1st pull when warm. No attachments
with it but I don't need any. Plenty of power too. 2 weeks ago I
was going along the sidewalk and found the only small rock on the
block, which of course found the side window of my little work car
known as the 'Egg' (ugly 89 Daihatsu but gets over 35mpg in town)
and shattered it into a million pieces. Cost me $55 for a new side
windowsigh. Moral of the story: Don't weed-eat near a car!

Old 08-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Joseph Meehan

Mine bumps line just fine. It also has all the power I need for the
trimmer and blower. I doubt if a snow blower would work well however, I
have an good size electric model for that made by Toro.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 08-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Salty Thumb

I know you said you were looking for a gas trimmers, but here's 2 cents
about the Toro Model 51556 , 7" Cordless Trimmer.

This is the first trimmer I've owned (having graduated from my parents'
manual 'wheel on a stick' trimmer. I don't know if this trimmer maybe a
little "wuss" for your purposes (it has the small diameter string I've
seen, .050"), but it works fine for me, usually cuts everything in one
pass. The only problems I've found is the trimmer length isn't adjustable
(I'm a little too tall for it) and if you are out of shape, the battery
gets heavy.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Bill Spohn

2 weeks ago I
was going along the sidewalk and found the only small rock on the
block, which of course found the side window of my little work car

Cost me $55 for a new side
windowsigh. Moral of the story: Don't weed-eat near a car!

I saw a friend do that to his much more expensive to replace Jensen Interceptor
windshield! Ouch!

I keep the whackers away from my old and hard to replace cars.

Old 08-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:23:11 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

I have one of the cheapo homelite string trimmers. I have had it for several
years and have no complaints. I don't do any maintenance or winterizing on
it, yet it starts perfectly every time, and gets the job done.

When I was looking at trimmers, I also looked at the multi-function units
that have different attachments. I realized that the various attachments
cost nearly as much as a brand new individual unit. For example, if I
remember correctly, the hedge trimmer attachment for the string trimmer cost
about as much as a brand new hedge trimmer all by itself.

Don't really nkow much about the lower end trimmers - since I am in
the business of doing yards. When I first strated out I had a
craftsman, which lasted about one summer. Not really surprising, when
you stop to think about it. I probably used it as much in one month as
the typical homeowner would in a year. After it gave out I picked up
an old commercial Snapper. Still runs great after being using daily
for 4 years, but almost impossible to find parts as they quit making
it way back. That's now my backup, and I use a Maryuama. Great
machine, and I'd recommend it, but costs about twice what the original
poster said he wanted to pay.

I also have one of the cheapo homelite gas leaf blowers. It has also been
quite reliable, but since moving into a new house with a larger yard (3/4
acre) this blower is inadequate. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good,
higher powered blower? When I looked around last year, there seemed to be a
jump from consumer models in the $70 - $150 range, to more powerful
professional models in the $300 range.

Currently using a 205mph craftsman. Plenty of power, and probably suit
your needs fine. My problem with it is, again, I use it way more than
it was designed for. It's about a year old, and last month Sears had
it more than I did, as it was in for repairs three times. If you're
looking at commercial blowers, Maryuama has one for around $200 -
starting to sound like a Maryuama salesman, but I've been thinking of
picking one up myself so know the price.

While I'm at it, does anyone have any opinions on those big leaf vacuums on
wheels versus leaf blowers? The vacuum idea seems more attractive to me, but
the fact that you never see professionals using them makes me think that
they aren't as effective or efficient.

Well, I have one (a craftsman), which I mainly use to blow off parking
lots. It works great as a blower, but isn't much use as a vacuum. Too
many leaves just get pushed around, wet leaves are hard to pick up and
can gum up the works. If you're thinking it will work as a household
vacuum, forget it. However, it does well to blow your leaves in a pile
to be picked up by hand - that's what I do with yards with lots of
leaves.

.. .

Old 08-07-2003, 07:00 PM
John DeBoo

wrote:

[...]

Assuming you're using the proper dia line, and that you have it
wound in the proper direction with no kinks and its not binding from
too much line, take the unit apart, clean well, spray w/ WD-40 & try
again. Run at full speed when you bump it.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Jay Chan

My 31cc Craftsman line trimmer crapped out on me, so it looks like I'm in
the market for a new one.

I know you are asking for a string trimmer. But I would like to add
that I find a cordless trimmer (6.something volt with detachable long
handle bar and come with a shear attachment to trim shrubs -- from
Craftman) that works very well in my 1/4 acre property. The battery
has enough juice for me to trim my yard or trim the shrubs (not doing
both on the same day) with juice to spare.

The other good thing is that it is very quiet. I can use it early in
the morning on Saturday when I cannot start my lawn mower and I don't
have anything else to do.

Because it doesn't use gas, I think I don't need to winterize it. Even
if I need to store it in my basement in winter, it is so small that I
will not have any problem storing it.

The only down side is that the long handle bar is not long enough for
a person who is near 6 ft tall.

There is another cordless model from Black and Decker (available in
Home Depot) -- don't pick that one! That one is so under-powered that
it kept jamming when I tried to use it to trim grass. Moreover I had
to use one finger to hold down the safety switch _while_ I used
another finger to press the power switch -- and doing this
two-fingers-dance the whole time when I was using it.

After saying this, I must point out that I am only using it in my
small 1/4 acre property. I can imagine that it will still work fine in
a 1/2 acre property (buying two and using one after another). If your
property is bigger than that, I don't know whether it will work for
you or not.

Hope this helps.

Jay Chan
Old 08-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Jay Chan

While I'm at it, does anyone have any opinions on those big leaf vacuums on
wheels versus leaf blowers? The vacuum idea seems more attractive to me, but
the fact that you never see professionals using them makes me think that
they aren't as effective or efficient.

I have a yard vacuum from YardMan (or MTD?). It works OK for vacuuming
leaves from my lawn/yard in fall. But its suction power is not high
enough to suck those winged seeds from the trees.

It is useful if you intend to put the leaves into your compost piles
because the machine also cuts the leaves into smaller pieces (not very
small, but small enough for me). On the other hand, if you don't
intend to put the leaves into compost piles, you may as well get the
leaf blower because it is cheaper (and you don't need to lift the
heavy bag of leaves from the machine).

I also use it to clean up the drive-way and the road-way along my yard
after I mow my lawn. But I must admit that it doesn't clean as good as
a blower-on-wheels that my neighbor uses.

If I could start it over with, I would still buy a yard vaccum. But I
would buy one with higher suction power than the one I have now (more
$$$).

Hope this helps.

Jay Chan
Old 08-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Carl e Roberts

another vote for the "Echo"

"Paul R." wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Adding Small Amount of Gas with 2 Cyle Oil Mix to Gas for Lawnmower [email protected] Lawns 7 03-06-2013 02:43 AM
Question about Gas Engine Trimmers John McDougald Gardening 3 11-08-2005 02:35 AM
Best Gas-powered String Trimmers evolutionman 2004 Lawns 4 24-06-2004 03:08 PM
Line Trimmer opinions Glenn Gardening 2 01-04-2004 07:47 PM
Gas Powered Hedge Trimmers for Pruning Azalea? Roy Gardening 2 17-10-2003 04:02 PM