GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grape Vines Grow in Pot? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/35777-grape-vines-grow-pot.html)

MC 07-07-2003 08:33 PM

Grape Vines Grow in Pot?

Will a grape vine grow in a pot? What is the root size like? I saw on
at a nursery in only about 2 gallon pot and it was already 5 feet
tall. I want to grow them on an arbor about 8 feet of the ground and
16 long. I am wondering if they will grow that big in a large pot.

Dwayne 09-07-2003 02:56 AM

Grape Vines Grow in Pot?

Grapes need a lot of water. During the hot part of the summer they will
loose more moisture through the leaves than they can take up through the
roots. I wouldn't trust them in a pot as a permanent thing. They might be
able to take up enough water in a pot as long as they are small. Mature
grapes have large root system, and I think a pot would hinder their growth
and production.

Dwayne
..
om...