GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing GHERKINS (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/35881-growing-gherkins.html)

the love boat skipper 08-07-2003 11:08 AM

Growing GHERKINS

I am growing Gherkins (National Pickling variety) for the first time... but I don't understand
how to train/stake/support them. Excuse my ignorance, but can some one suggest what one does
with these plants. With tomatoes, I can usually support my plants with a central stake, but
the gherkin seems to grow laterally, so perhaps I need a central stake, and then a lateral
means of support.

A diagram would be helpful.

H E L P !!!!!!! :-)

Frankhartx 08-07-2003 01:32 PM

Growing GHERKINS

From: the love boat skipper
Newsgroups: rec.gardens

but I don't understand
how to train/stake/support them.

If you planted them properly with the correct spacing then just let them sprawl
on the ground--while they can be trellised that is usually only done where
space is severely limited. Cukes, melons and squash as hard fruited types are
generally grown as ground sprawlers.

FarmerDill 08-07-2003 06:02 PM

Growing GHERKINS

I am growing Gherkins (National Pickling variety) for the first time... but I
don't understand
how to train/stake/support them. Excuse my ignorance, but can some one
suggest what one does
with these plants. With tomatoes, I can usually support my plants with a
central stake, but
the gherkin seems to grow laterally, so perhaps I need a central stake, and
then a lateral
means of support.

A diagram would be helpful.

These things have similar habits to a cucumber, They can grow up a fence type
trellis, be contained in a wire cage, or allowed to sprawl on the ground.