Old 10-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Geoff Cashman

Default Mulberry tree and foundations (was Love my Mulberry tree!!!)

Seeing this thread reminded me to ask...

I've got a mulberry tree that is about four feet out from my foundation.
The tree is relatively young, and stands about 20 feet tall. There are
two much larger and taller (non-Mulberry) tree that overshadow this
tree.

I am considering (much as I hate to do it) destroying this tree because
I perceive there may be a threat from it to my foundation. Is this
threat real? Do Mulberry trees drive their roots down and not out? How
powerful are they, should it come in contact with my foundation?

-Geoff

Old 10-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Turnagerg

I would take it out now before it causes foundation problems. A mulberry tree
is a beautiful thing in its place... They make a terrible mess in the yard. I
planted some two years ago, but in the field away from the house.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
David J Bockman

I know i've taken to quoting Michael Dirr way too much lately, but his
commentary on Morus alba is priceless. IN his Manual of Woody Landscape
Plants, under the header ' Uses' he writes, 'NONE'. P

Dave

Old 11-07-2003, 01:56 AM
dementia13

In article ,
"David J Bockman" wrote:

I know i've taken to quoting Michael Dirr way too much lately, but his
commentary on Morus alba is priceless. IN his Manual of Woody Landscape
Plants, under the header ' Uses' he writes, 'NONE'. P

Nobody's perfect. He obviously never threw mulberries into a blender
with vanilla ice cream. They're also great for keeping the yard full of
birds. I find that the birds stay over in the trees and party, so purple
rain isn't an issue. That's a funny line, though.