Old 11-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Leslie

Default Intro and beet question

Hi-I've been lurking for awhile and thought it was time to say hi and ask a
question. I live in zone 5, I think 5b since I'm right on the edge of zone
6. I'm having problems with beets. Last year I planted some (I don't
remember the kind), and ended up with a couple tiny things that never grew.
This year I planted some cylindra beets, and again, they're just not
growing. Out of probably 100 seeds planted as directed on the package, 10
germinated. A couple look ok, but not like I would expect them to be. Kind
of weak little things that got eaten by some kind of bug. The others look
like they might die any minute. Are there any special tips to growing beets?
The rest of my veggie garden looks good-pumpkins, cucumbers, carrots, lots
of tomatoes, corn. Well, actually the corn looks kind of strange too. Some
of the stalks are 2-3 feet taller than the rest. So I guess I have a corn
question too. :-) What would cause the disparity in the corn heights? Ok,
that's enough questions for now. I'm sure I'll have more later since I'm
kind of a novice gardener. Thanks!

Leslie

Old 12-07-2003, 05:56 PM
FarmerDill

[...]

Beets: 1. plant early in the spring just after the spring thaw. They do not
tolerate hot weather.
2. plant in loose rich soil, note they need more potash (potassium) than most
garden vegetables.
3. keep surface moist until they germimate, floating row covers, plastic, even
boards laying over the row can be used,

Corn: possible uneven fertility of soil, or hardpan below the surface.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Leslie

"FarmerDill" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply. :-)

Beets: 1. plant early in the spring just after the spring thaw. They do

not
tolerate hot weather.

Did that.

2. plant in loose rich soil, note they need more potash (potassium) than

most
garden vegetables.

What's the best way to get more potassium in the soil? The soil had lots of
compost and manure worked into it before planting.

3. keep surface moist until they germimate, floating row covers, plastic,

even
boards laying over the row can be used,

I'll have to look at the floating row covers. Is it too late to do that for
this season to help the ones I have?

Corn: possible uneven fertility of soil, or hardpan below the surface.

I kind of figured something like that. I wasn't super worried about it
though, since I planted a lot more than I really need.

Leslie

Old 12-07-2003, 09:20 PM
simy1

"Leslie" wrote in message ...
[...]

for the beets: acid soil? they won't grow well with a pH below 6.
Pumpkins and tomatoes generally do well in acid soil. Have the soil
tested.
Old 14-07-2003, 12:12 AM
FarmerDill

What's the best way to get more potassium in the soil? The soil had lots of
compost and manure worked into it before planting.

It should be ok. I sue 10 gallons of wood ash per 100 feet of row, Deleivers
both potassium and elevates the pH which beets require,

Unless you are somewhere north of Detroit, beets should be done or least
finishing up. Certainly it is too hot in most areas for beets to do much
growing

Old 21-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Guy Bradley

"FarmerDill" wrote in message
Unless you are somewhere north of Detroit, beets should be done or

least
finishing up. Certainly it is too hot in most areas for beets to do

much
growing

Unless you are growing Long Keepers or Lutz. These keep growing right
through the season. I have grown one of these each year for 20 years
and really like them.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6

[IMG] code is On

Intro and question hedges V. Gardening 1 17-03-2005 01:21 PM
Beet tops slowly being destroyed Al Edible Gardening 1 19-06-2004 04:04 PM
Red Beet wont grow Herbert Snowden Edible Gardening 4 20-05-2003 08:44 PM
Beet Seeds Not Germinating Pat Meadows Edible Gardening 14 12-05-2003 12:32 AM
beet greens zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 01-02-2003 01:33 PM