Old 13-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Robert

Default salt content of rabbit pellets...

I have recently been purchasing bags of rabbit pellets as an organic
fertilizer for both my lawn and plants. I have read a few minor
concerns over the salt content though. The bags I use say anywhere
from .3 to .6% salt. Is this high enough to make an issue of? It seems
to be quite low to me, but I'm hardly an expert on the subject.

Would repeated applications cause a salt buildup or are the levels
equal to naturally occurring salts? Is this a higher salt % than
chemical fertilizers? I would greatly appreciate any info on this, as
I don't want to keep doing it and find out too late that I screwed my
whole yard . Thanks.
Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
DavesVideo

I have recently been purchasing bags of rabbit pellets as an organic
fertilizer for both my lawn and plants

I always thought that you had to first feed it to the rabbit and extract the
fertilizer from the other end. ;-)

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 14-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Robert said:

I have recently been purchasing bags of rabbit pellets as an organic
fertilizer for both my lawn and plants. I have read a few minor
concerns over the salt content though. The bags I use say anywhere
from .3 to .6% salt. Is this high enough to make an issue of? It seems
to be quite low to me, but I'm hardly an expert on the subject.

I've been using alfalfa pellets mainly, rabbit pellets sometimes for
fertilizing. Excellent choice. My native soil is very sandy and these
provide OM, micronutrients, and slow-release nitrogen. I suggest you
buy rabbit pellets with a high percentage of alfalfa or 'forage greens'
vs. grains (which tend to be cheaper anyway). If you have access to
a feed store which stocks supples for horses, straight alfalfa pellets
would be cheaper yet.

Would repeated applications cause a salt buildup or are the levels
equal to naturally occurring salts? Is this a higher salt % than
chemical fertilizers? I would greatly appreciate any info on this, as
I don't want to keep doing it and find out too late that I screwed my
whole yard .

I doubt that it would be a problem unless you are growing in a very
difficult climate and soil area (where you are totally dependent on
irrigation water, for instance).

Chemical fertilizers may contain salts of various types (potassium salts,
fior instance).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)