GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   BOOK on COMPOSTING - Recommendations ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/36467-book-composting-recommendations.html)

al 13-07-2003 11:12 PM

BOOK on COMPOSTING - Recommendations ?

Hi fellow g'ers

I am seeking recommendations for a good BOOK on COMPOSTING.

I prefer something with a bit of depth... that I can grow
with over the next couple of years of garden.

Thanks.

animaux 14-07-2003 03:22 AM

BOOK on COMPOSTING - Recommendations ?

Well, go to this website I direct you to go to. There is no better, state of
the art technology on compost anywhere in the world.

http://www.soilfoodweb.com/phpweb/

Start from there and work back to where you are!

Frogleg 14-07-2003 12:02 PM

BOOK on COMPOSTING - Recommendations ?

On 13 Jul 2003 21:08:35 GMT, al wrote:

I am seeking recommendations for a good BOOK on COMPOSTING.

I prefer something with a bit of depth... that I can grow
with over the next couple of years of garden.

The classic is "Let it Rot" by Stu Campbell.

Compostman 16-07-2003 06:15 AM

BOOK on COMPOSTING - Recommendations ?

My most comprehensive book is Rodale Books' "The Complete Book of
Composting" copyrighted 1960. The book is 1007 pages! I didn't think it
was possible to write that much about composting. All other books I've seen
on composting are small, such as Brooklyn Botanic Garden publishes one
titled, "Easy Compost." It's ok. I have one titled, "Backyard Composting"
and one from Smith & Hawken titled, "Composting." My most recent composting
book is titled, "The Composting Cookbook" by Karen Overgaard and Tony
Novembre. Just don't believe everything you read about composting. Some of
it just isn't true.

You asked about books, but there are a number of good web sites. My
favorite is Cornell University's because it covers the science (physics,
chemistry, biology) of composting.

--
Compostman
Washington, DC

Nick 17-07-2003 12:59 AM

BOOK on COMPOSTING - Recommendations ?

The Book of Life is good, as is the advice you'll find on this ng and from
other gardeners. The process is not a well kept secret.

Nick.

Richard Brooks 18-07-2003 12:02 AM

"al" wrote in message
Hi fellow g'ers

I am seeking recommendations for a good BOOK on COMPOSTING.

I prefer something with a bit of depth... that I can grow
with over the next couple of years of garden.

Thanks.

Don't forget the good old Henry Doubleday Research Association ?

http://www.hdra.org.uk/gh_comp.htm

Richard.