Old 14-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Default Annuals and Biennials

I'm very into perennials, but I'd also like to learn about annuals and
biennials that *reseed* themselves and function like perennials for
zone 3.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Cynthia
Old 14-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Annuals that reseed and naturalize themselves are still annuals.
Most of them are considered to be weeds.

Old 14-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Sunny

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:37:34 -0600, Jacquard_The_Ripper
wrote:

I'm very into perennials, but I'd also like to learn about annuals and
biennials that *reseed* themselves and function like perennials for
zone 3.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Cynthia

Dame's Rocket (hesperis matronalis) is a good one.

Old 15-07-2003, 01:52 AM
animaux

There is larkspur, allysum, galliardia, cleome, impatiens... lots and lots of
annuals in your zone which will re-seed.

Old 15-07-2003, 01:52 AM
animaux

You'd consider Texas bluebonnets to be weeds? Maxmillion sunflowers? Larkspur?

I mean, I see your point, but there are a lot of plants which are in cultivation
and can reseed and not be considered weeds.

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:07:07 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-" wrote:

Annuals that reseed and naturalize themselves are still annuals.
Most of them are considered to be weeds.

.. .

Old 15-07-2003, 07:52 AM
gregpresley

The quintessential reseeding annual of northern climes is the poppy. Both
papaver rhoeas (shirley poppy, corn poppy), and papaver somniferum (opium
poppy) will reseed themselves for years in cool climates. If your climate is
cold enough, iceland poppy may reseed itself too. (Native to arctic
regions). Bachelor buttons, alyssum, california poppies, godetia, cosmos,
lavatera, and chinese forget me nots will all reseed themselves, although
not always in the spot you would have chosen for them. The trick is learning
to recognize the seedlings when young, and also not to be afraid to hoe
often, since these plants will reseed themselves too generously and it's
nice to give them a little breathing space. (The ones the hoe misses will be
plenty!).

Old 15-07-2003, 01:42 PM
animaux

Good point. I had one perilla plant last year and this year it came up in the
hundreds about 6 feet away from the original plant. I thinned them, but what a
beautiful contrast their frilled foliage and deep purple/black foliage they have
in the full, hot, Texas sun. For me down here, sunflowers also reseed as well
as Dolichos lablab (hyacinth bean vine). I wish the Mina lobata (Spanish flag
vine) would reseed. I've yet to harvest any. Has anyone had luck with theirs
producing seed?

I would love to try the yellow version of Mina lobata. None of the catalogs had
any this past winter. Some kind of crop failure, I understand.

Victoria

Old 15-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Alexander Pensky

gregpresley wrote:
The quintessential reseeding annual of northern climes is the poppy. Both
papaver rhoeas (shirley poppy, corn poppy), and papaver somniferum (opium
poppy) will reseed themselves for years in cool climates. If your climate is
cold enough, iceland poppy may reseed itself too. (Native to arctic
regions).

Huh? Opium poppies are perennial, n'est-ce pas?

A friend gave me some root pieces in a pot..
planted them years ago...
the *exact same* poppy comes up every year...
not new seedlings.

- Alex

Old 15-07-2003, 08:02 PM
paghat

In article , Alexander Pensky
wrote:

gregpresley wrote:
The quintessential reseeding annual of northern climes is the poppy. Both
papaver rhoeas (shirley poppy, corn poppy), and papaver somniferum (opium
poppy) will reseed themselves for years in cool climates. If your climate is
cold enough, iceland poppy may reseed itself too. (Native to arctic
regions).

Huh? Opium poppies are perennial, n'est-ce pas?

I think this varies. They sometimes go a couple years as non-blooming
perennials, then do not return the next year after finally blooming,
unless they reseed, which they do quite easily. But some annual poppies do
seem to perennialize unpredictably & bloom year after year, & I think P.
somniferum may be one that can do so, though I'm not swearing to it. Mine
in the past have been annuals. This year I have only one opium poppy (a
black peony variety) -- it has been blooming a full month so far,
beginning to look scruffy finally -- & I'm saving the pods as I'm pretty
sure it won't come back next year, but I won't disrupt its specific
location in case it does want to return.

-paghat the ratgirl

A friend gave me some root pieces in a pot..
planted them years ago...
the *exact same* poppy comes up every year...
not new seedlings.

- Alex

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 15-07-2003, 10:25 PM
animaux

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:30:26 -0400, Alexander Pensky
wrote:

gregpresley wrote:
The quintessential reseeding annual of northern climes is the poppy. Both
papaver rhoeas (shirley poppy, corn poppy), and papaver somniferum (opium
poppy) will reseed themselves for years in cool climates. If your climate is
cold enough, iceland poppy may reseed itself too. (Native to arctic
regions).

Huh? Opium poppies are perennial, n'est-ce pas?

A friend gave me some root pieces in a pot..
planted them years ago...
the *exact same* poppy comes up every year...
not new seedlings.

- Alex

They are not usually root hardy up north.

Old 16-07-2003, 06:03 AM
Ann

Alexander Pensky expounded:

Huh? Opium poppies are perennial, n'est-ce pas?

I've only known them as self sowing annuals. They seed and die.
Beautiful while they last, though.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 16-07-2003, 07:32 AM
gregpresley

I think you're thinking of oriental poppies, papaver orientale, which have
the big orange, salmon, or red flowers every year in late May, early June.
According to botanica, papaver somniferum is definitely an annual, albeit
fast growing and a reliable self-sower in the right climates.
"Alexander Pensky" wrote in message
gregpresley wrote:
The quintessential reseeding annual of northern climes is the poppy.

Both
papaver rhoeas (shirley poppy, corn poppy), and papaver somniferum

(opium
poppy) will reseed themselves for years in cool climates. If your

climate is
cold enough, iceland poppy may reseed itself too. (Native to arctic
regions).

Huh? Opium poppies are perennial, n'est-ce pas?

A friend gave me some root pieces in a pot..
planted them years ago...
the *exact same* poppy comes up every year...
not new seedlings.

- Alex

[IMG] code is On

RGR and the ARS Annuals [email protected] Roses 0 16-04-2015 03:29 AM
Garden madness and can it be?? I actually had a pot of ANNUALS toSTICK TO ME???? [email protected] Gardening 2 04-06-2008 11:21 AM
Biennials Peter Sutton United Kingdom 10 28-05-2007 07:51 PM
Hardy annuals and biennials Alison United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 04:58 PM
Hardy annuals and biennials Martin Sykes United Kingdom 2 05-02-2003 06:25 PM