Old 14-07-2003, 09:02 PM
The Popovics

Default Looking for ornamental tree- help in ID

I'm looking for an ornamental conifer for the front of our house, and I don't
know the name of what I want. Maybe I'm not looking right, but I can't find
pictures online of what I'd like. Something in the blue spruce color, but
looking like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, if you know what I mean. Went to
three nurseries today, but they didn't have what I want. If I at least have a
name they will order it for me. Is there someplace online that has a list of
trees along with pictures to help me out?

Thanks so much,
Caroline
Old 15-07-2003, 08:02 AM
gregpresley

I think the hint you gave (the charlie brown Christmas tree) suggests not
blue spruce but blue atlas cedar. (It has a sort of ungainly "picturesque"
look when young).
(also known as cedrus atlantica).

I'll try to do a quick google for you to see an image:

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant...tlas_Cedar.asp

Young trees look very different from this more mature specimen, but I think
you can get a hint of the irregular nature of the growth and also the color
of the foliage

Old 15-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Tracey

but looking like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, if
you know what I mean.

When I think 'Charlie Brown Christmas tree', I think
of a tree with only a few distinct branches and then
I think of Norfolk Island pine. The only problem is
that it's not a blue spruce color, I don't think.

Tracey

Old 16-07-2003, 06:13 PM
The Popovics

I found the photo I was looking for- the tree is a Blue Atlas Cedar. I came
across the photo by accident. Thanks for all your help.

Caroline

[IMG] code is On

Ornamental Banana Tree Question. Ralph D. Gardening 0 26-05-2006 04:53 PM
ornamental tree for small garden KK United Kingdom 4 20-04-2006 05:01 PM
ornamental Pear tree Linda Gardening 2 20-04-2005 03:28 AM
destructiveness of ornamental tree Mike Gardening 2 30-06-2004 03:08 PM
Ornamental Crabapple Tree Pruning Jim Schott Gardening 2 13-04-2004 03:02 AM