GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deutzia scarba (Codsall pink) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/36729-deutzia-scarba-codsall-pink.html)

B & J 15-07-2003 10:02 PM

Deutzia scarba (Codsall pink)

Has anyone had any experience in growing the fuzzy deutzia? I've checked
sources in a search on-line, but most say moist, high humus soil, which I
definitely don't have. How tolerant are they of less than ideal conditions
and will they grow and bloom in such an environment?

I have three plants started from cuttings from a parent plant which was
located in a rather shaded area on the east side of the house where it
received regular watering. I first saw a single flowered variety blooming in
Branson, MO, in Silver Dollar City, in much the same type of environment.
What happens if it gets planted in a full-sun area? I would appreciate it if
anyone would share his/her experience with this shrub.

And yes, Mad, one of them is yours if they continue to thrive! G

John

madgardener 16-07-2003 07:24 AM

"B & J" wrote in message
Has anyone had any experience in growing the fuzzy deutzia? I've checked
sources in a search on-line, but most say moist, high humus soil, which I
definitely don't have. How tolerant are they of less than ideal conditions
and will they grow and bloom in such an environment?

I have three plants started from cuttings from a parent plant which was
located in a rather shaded area on the east side of the house where it
received regular watering. I first saw a single flowered variety blooming

in
Branson, MO, in Silver Dollar City, in much the same type of environment.
What happens if it gets planted in a full-sun area? I would appreciate it

if
anyone would share his/her experience with this shrub.

And yes, Mad, one of them is yours if they continue to thrive! G

John

mine would be tucked into my dry woods, and supplimented with watering

until established, would that do? not deep shade, but high shade unless
otherwise told to plant elsewhere. I am thinking of planting on the north
side of the house that gets good Eastern sun, strong southern and strong
Western lights. would that be enough?
madgardener