Old 16-07-2003, 07:22 AM
madgardener

Default daylilies (repeat blooming) and a bit more.............GBSEG

"Barbara Yanus" wrote so nicely........

I have four of the ones you mentioned. When I purchased them, I had no idea
that they would be rebloomers....

Will removing the seed pods help them to bloom a second time?

Ceroid remarked quite pleasantly: Not unless they are a repeat blooming
cultivar such as 'Stella d'Oro', 'Happy Returns', 'Bitsy', 'Yellow Lollipop'
or 'Pardon Me'.

And Madgardener jumped in with her nickel's worth..........."I have Jackson
Perkin's patented "Supreme Stella d'Oro" and "Supreme Stella Ruby", Happy
Returns, Butterscotch Ruffles and Crimson Pirate, all which are repeat
bloomers, but BUT here's something I was TOTALLY unaware of that they
did......( this is either because of working at Lowe's outside lawn and
garden center and because we're on a watering regiment, the recent heat AND
humidity, these particular rebloomers or all of the above. I came to work
three days ago and noticed on the table where these towering daylilies are
sitting in full blazing sun that they were almost at the "we've got to
reduce them because they've started setting seed (of which I snap the pods
off when I get the opportunity, but I am usually busy watering and waiting
on customers and answering questions) and on over one half of the stems
halfway up was what looked like a downward leaf and some leaves going
upwards. But upon closer inspection, I was shocked and amazed and pleased to
see that this was no mere leaf or leaves rising upwards on the
stem.......these were actual PLANTS growing on the stems. The one that made
me laugh outloud was the Jackson and Perkin's patented Ruby
Stella........lol. After looking at each little plantlet, I discovered like
the larger reblooming daylilies next to them that weren't patented, these
Ruby's had little individual plantlets with a large root emerging just under
the protective sheath of the leaf that was growing downward. When the roots
were ample size, the leaf started to wither and brown and came off easily.
I sold about six of the large daylilies, and two of the Ruby's before I did
a little "excising surgery" on a few of the plants stems............LOL.
There are plenty more like this, but I carefully wrapped them up in a damp
paper towel, inside a plastic bag until I got them home and I poked holes
into rich soil and plugged each cut stem and baby plant into a pot. The
little Ruby's even had miniature bloom pods on them, they might not bloom
since I've removed them from their parent, but we'll see. I'll keep you
informed of this experiment. Anyone else have this phenomenon occure on
daylilies? madgardener, who has two days off from work after heat stroke
and tearing the left rotor cup muscle yesterday moving crape myrtles (these
aren't days given due to the heat stroke, which is the second time in three
days, no, these are my two days off this week......I will have to heal while
I can and take more gatoraid to work with my sweet iced tea or suffer dire
consequences next time, it's going to be hotter this week) up on the
raucous ridge where the cicada's (or catydids, you choose) are so loud you
can hear them thru the window's, back in fairy holler, overlooking a hazy
blue English Mountain under twinkly stars overhead, in Eastern Tennessee,
zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Judy Cosler wrote in
message . ..

Should the seed pods that develop on daylilies be removed? for repeat bloom?
TIA, Judy ((.)) '))

seed pods should be removed unless you're cross breeding daylilies. And only
repeat bloomers will rebloom, but removing seed pods will insure stronger
rhizomes in the plants. "maddie"