Old 16-07-2003, 01:32 PM
DavesVideo

Default Ground Cover for Steep Bank

I recently removed an old Deck and am left with a 5' high ugly retaining wall.
I have been filling it in with shale and then dirt and the final result will be
a steep bank with about 45 degree slope. If I don't get some sort of root
system there, it will erode badly. Any suggestions for a good quick growing
ground cover for a steep bank with a fair amount of sun.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 16-07-2003, 05:02 PM
David J Bockman

Your best bet might be to first lay down an erosion control blanket like
Curlex, through which you can then plant your groundcover. The blanket will
stabilize the soil until the roots can spread enough to do the job.

Dave

Old 16-07-2003, 06:12 PM
David J Bockman

See https://www.amleo.com/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=c4180

"Biodegradable excelsior blanket with netting, for temporary erosion control
and as an aid in speedy revegetation of slopes and waterways. Clings to soil
with "barbed" fibers that reduce soil loss and strengthen its foundation.
Retains moisture and provides a protective blanket for germinating seeds.
Contains NO weed seeds, created from aspen wood fibers, a renewable
resource. Acts as a mulch, and adds valuable nutrients to the soil during
breakdown. 80% six-inch long or longer fibers. Consistent thickness,
conforms to soil surfaces. Natural green in color. No chemical additives...
Extruded polypropylene netting on one side breaks down in sunlight (short
30-60 day life-cycle netting), Fibers are curled Great Lakes Aspen
Excelsior, interlocking with barbed edges..."

Typically it's used overtop of grass seed, but you can also pin it down, cut
'X' slits in the material, and plant in your groundcovers through it, then
mulch on top. Another type of blanket is 'jutte cloth' or 'jutte fiber'.

Typical 'workhorse' groundcovers for the conditions you describe include
prostrate junipers, various grasses, creeping or groundcover thymes, ivy,
ajuga, etc. I like to sometimes use a mass of color, such as multiple 'Blue
Rug' junipers, interspersed with a differing color such as 'Daub's Frosted'
for a nice effect...

Dave said:

Your best bet might be to first lay down an erosion control blanket like

Curlex, through which you can then plant your groundcover. The blanket

will
stabilize the soil until the roots can spread enough to do the job.

Never heard of it, but assume that it is a fiber material that will

decompose
once roots are established. Is it something that most nurseries are likely

have?

Still would like to know what ground cover to plant on it.

Old 16-07-2003, 06:14 PM
DavesVideo

Dave said:

Your best bet might be to first lay down an erosion control blanket like

Curlex, through which you can then plant your groundcover. The blanket will
stabilize the soil until the roots can spread enough to do the job.

Never heard of it, but assume that it is a fiber material that will decompose
once roots are established. Is it something that most nurseries are likely to

Old 16-07-2003, 06:44 PM
John DeBoo

DavesVideo wrote:

Dave said:

Your best bet might be to first lay down an erosion control blanket like

Curlex, through which you can then plant your groundcover. The blanket will
stabilize the soil until the roots can spread enough to do the job.

Never heard of it, but assume that it is a fiber material that will decompose
once roots are established. Is it something that most nurseries are likely to
have?

Still would like to know what ground cover to plant on it.

Can't remember the name on the book but its real common. They
publish books on Annuals, Perennials, Bedding Plants, Trees, Shrubs
etc and have one called Ground Covers. My library carries them all,
about 5x8 in size & 1"+ thick. Good pictures and info etc for the
different zones.
What zone are you in as that makes a big difference on what'll grow
and what won't.

Old 17-07-2003, 12:43 AM
David Hill

Polygonum affine makes a great ground cover and has flowers for a long part
of the summer.
First saw it used when I went to the Olympics in Rome 1960, banks outside
the main athletics stadium was planted with it. looked great.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-07-2003, 10:32 AM
Marcy Hege

Try liriope (but only if you don't plan to grow anything else there.)
Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
DavesVideo

John asked:

What zone are you in as that makes a big difference on what'll grow
and what won't.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Looking for ground cover for steep bank,
fairly sunny and for zone 5.

Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
J. Farnsworth Wallaby

Dave,

If you are located in a rural area i'd stay away from junipers. Their natural oils
are very volatile. I'd really look into your state "native" grasses/plant
materials.

Just do a "google" search for " state native plant societies". Native grasses
really root and knit the ground together to prevent erosion.

Alain...Palomar Mountain [where the 200" telescope is]

DavesVideo wrote:

I recently removed an old Deck and am left with a 5' high ugly retaining wall.
I have been filling it in with shale and then dirt and the final result will be
a steep bank with about 45 degree slope. If I don't get some sort of root
system there, it will erode badly. Any suggestions for a good quick growing
ground cover for a steep bank with a fair amount of sun.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

[IMG] code is On

Steep bank and new to gardening! Sme83 United Kingdom 1 16-04-2006 10:24 AM
Steep Hill Problem Bee Gardening 4 03-08-2003 10:42 PM
Cover for a bank - advice please Pickle United Kingdom 6 25-05-2003 11:08 AM
Steep bank how to plant help please V6 United Kingdom 25 11-05-2003 04:46 PM
help please STEEP hillside garden alice United Kingdom 8 31-03-2003 09:08 PM