Old 04-03-2003, 07:27 PM
John Bachman

Default Holly tree?

I have seen what I thought was a Holly tree on Cape Cod. But
searching for such thing has not uncovered it.

My wife thinks that it may have been a high bush cranberry.

Is there such a thing as a holly tree? The one I saw was about 15
feet tall.

TIA

John

Old 04-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Pam

John Bachman wrote:

I have seen what I thought was a Holly tree on Cape Cod. But
searching for such thing has not uncovered it.

My wife thinks that it may have been a high bush cranberry.

Is there such a thing as a holly tree? The one I saw was about 15
feet tall.

TIA

John

It could very well have been a holly. There are about a zillion species,
hybrids and cultivars of Ilex, some extremely cold hardy. Did you see it
recently? Did it have leaves.

Old 04-03-2003, 09:03 PM
Cathy

Yes, John. There *are* Holly trees. I would not be suprised to find
them on Cape Cod. Here in Little Egg Harbor, NJ (very coastal) they
are abundant and grow like weeds. I am constantly pulling up seedlings
in the garden. A real PITA. They drop thier leaves in the spring.

Cathy

--
.... __~o
.. \ -\,

te amo mucho mi amor

Old 04-03-2003, 09:39 PM
John Bachman

On Tue, 04 Mar 2003 20:01:45 GMT, Pam wrote:

John Bachman wrote:

I have seen what I thought was a Holly tree on Cape Cod. But
searching for such thing has not uncovered it.

My wife thinks that it may have been a high bush cranberry.

Is there such a thing as a holly tree? The one I saw was about 15
feet tall.

TIA

John

It could very well have been a holly. There are about a zillion species,
hybrids and cultivars of Ilex, some extremely cold hardy. Did you see it
recently? Did it have leaves.

Cool. The one I saw was in December and it had nice green leaves.

Any idea where I can buy a 6 - 8 footer? Do you need male and female
for berries like the bushes?

TIA

John

Old 04-03-2003, 11:15 PM
Ann

John Bachman expounded:

I have seen what I thought was a Holly tree on Cape Cod. But
searching for such thing has not uncovered it.

There are many native holly trees (Ilex opaca) on the Cape.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 04-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Penny Morgan

Holly trees are everywhere here in the south. They are botanically called
Ilex and come in many shapes and sizes. There are Burford, Carissa, and
Yaupon (dwarf varieties) and Sentinel, Nellie R. Stevens, etc. There are
too many to recite.

Most hollies have a very stiff, glossy leaf. Some are very sharp and others
very round and small. If you do a search on google for Ilex, you'll
probably see some examples. Yes, many hollies are much bigger than 15 ft.,
so it is not out of the realm of possibility that you saw one. I looked up
some zone specs. on some of our hollies and they list some in zones 4-9, but
most of them are listed as zones 6-9. These are hollies that are sold in
our zone 7b, so I could be wrong about other varieties. Hollies can also be
limbed up to form a tree too. Most grow naturally in a conical shape
(Christmas tree shape).

Good luck on finding out which one it is.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 05-03-2003, 02:27 AM
John Bachman

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 01:33:47 GMT, animaux
wrote:

There are holly trees which can reach 30 feet! What was the shape of the
foliage?

It was round shaped. Quite beautiful.

Old 05-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Iris Cohen

I have seen what I thought was a Holly tree on Cape Cod. But searching for
such thing has not uncovered it.
My wife thinks that it may have been a high bush cranberry.

What did the leaves look like?

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 05-03-2003, 04:27 AM
Cathy

http://www.members.tripod.com/eyecandygirl/holly.htm

John,
If you want seedlings of female and male, contact me at iwink@ voodooink.net

Cathy

Old 07-03-2003, 02:32 AM
RWL

wrote:

I have seen what I thought was a Holly tree on Cape Cod. But
searching for such thing has not uncovered it.

It is indeed a holly tree. There's one like you describe in the
cemetery in Lewisburg, PA. It looks like any other holly, but with a
main trunk and then a canopy of pricly holly leaves. I suspect that
when it was young, a main leader was selected to be the trunk and it
was shaped and grown as a tree.

RWL

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******

Old 13-03-2003, 08:20 PM
J Bertilson

I have two 20+ (and growing) footers in my back yard here in CT. The
previous owners who planted them 30+ years ago named them Slim and Edna.

JAB

Old 13-03-2003, 08:32 PM
John Bachman

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:15:33 -0500, J Bertilson
wrote:

I have two 20+ (and growing) footers in my back yard here in CT. The
previous owners who planted them 30+ years ago named them Slim and Edna.

JAB

Thanks JAB, that is encouraging. But I am still searching for a
source of 6 - 8 footers.

John

Old 13-03-2003, 10:57 PM
Trish K.

i guess ilex opaca isn't a holly tree you would see on cape cod then,
and the detailed book on ilex opaca species in osterville is probably
just my imagination, i suppose pruning ilex opaca to keep it small, or
looking it that silly yet extensive listing of the species is
especially silly. Perhaps it was highbush cranberry, plant that.

TK

Old 13-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Marley1372

Perhaps it was highbush cranberry, plant that.

Except that "highbush cranberry" aka viburnum trilobum in this neck of the
woods, is not an evergreen, whereas Ilex opaca is.

Toad

[IMG] code is On

American Holly Tree rara Marketplace 0 24-03-2010 12:51 PM
Yaupon Holly (and other holly questions) Susan Hogarth North Carolina 5 11-01-2005 05:16 PM
Pruning tall holly tree ?? gray United Kingdom 15 15-12-2004 01:37 PM
Where to get a holly tree? John Bachman Gardening 5 01-01-2004 09:32 PM
Mail order source for Schilling's holly?? SHO2n Bonsai 0 05-02-2003 04:00 AM