GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Purple Wildflower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/36939-purple-wildflower.html)

J hines 17-07-2003 05:55 AM

Purple Wildflower

I am interrested in the identity of a purple flower which I found
close to my home in Southern Ontario (Canada.) It has 5 petals per
bloom and was growing next to a bike trail through the woods. There
is a picture of it he

http://www.geocities.com/cactus_fall...ple_fl_log.JPG

Let me know if you recoginze it.

Thanks!

Jon Hines

David Hill 17-07-2003 07:12 AM

Purple Wildflower

Looks like some form of campanula

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

gregpresley 17-07-2003 08:23 AM

Purple Wildflower

I'm pretty sure it's campanula rapunculoides - sometimes "affectionately"
called cancer of the garden, because of its invasive tendencies. Be
afraid - be very afraid.....LOL. It's pretty in bloom, but nearly impossible
to eradicate once established - (makes roots like parsnips - even the
tiniest piece of root left remaining after pulling will produce another huge
vigorous healthy plant).
om...

Ann 17-07-2003 10:42 AM

Purple Wildflower

"gregpresley" expounded:

I'm pretty sure it's campanula rapunculoides - sometimes "affectionately"
called cancer of the garden, because of its invasive tendencies. Be
afraid - be very afraid.....LOL. It's pretty in bloom, but nearly impossible
to eradicate once established - (makes roots like parsnips - even the
tiniest piece of root left remaining after pulling will produce another huge
vigorous healthy plant).

Oh, do I hate that plant, it came into my garden in a pot of peonies,
and you're right, it's impossible to eradicate. Damned thing.....

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA