GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anyone know what kind of wasp this is? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/36944-anyone-know-what-kind-wasp.html)

Jesse Greenawalt 17-07-2003 06:12 AM

Anyone know what kind of wasp this is?

I have wasps that seem to be nesting near my home entrance. They
look like bald faced hornets (black & white, short thin waist, ~1"
long) from the pictures I've
seen, but I can't find a nest. The activity in the daytime
(maybe 2 dozen wasps) leads me to think the nest is under our porch
(raised 15 inches off the ground). But I can find no nest. I think
I've
seen a couple abdomens sticking out of carpenter bee holes, though!
I've never heard of any kind of wasp inhabiting carpenter bee nests,
but one thing's for sure - I haven't seen any carpenter bees in the
last few weeks, and I usually have a lot of them. Is this just a
coincidence and I haven't spotted the nest?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jesse G.