Old 17-07-2003, 06:13 AM
Jesse Greenawalt

Default Anyone know what kind of wasp this is?

I have wasps that seem to be nesting near my home entrance. They
look like bald faced hornets (black & white, short thin waist, ~1"
long) from the pictures I've
seen, but I can't find a nest. The activity in the daytime
(maybe 2 dozen wasps) leads me to think the nest is under our porch
(raised 15 inches off the ground). But I can find no nest. I think
I've
seen a couple abdomens sticking out of carpenter bee holes, though!
I've never heard of any kind of wasp inhabiting carpenter bee nests,
but one thing's for sure - I haven't seen any carpenter bees in the
last few weeks, and I usually have a lot of them. Is this just a
coincidence and I haven't spotted the nest?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jesse G.
Old 17-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Jesse Greenawalt

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I've taken a couple of shots so you can see them.

http://www.playhousemm.com/wasp.htm
Old 17-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Lar

In article b94b8f90.0307171022.2fbb4988
@posting.google.com, says...

You might try posting at sci.bio.entomology.misc
I have seen that wasp before, also entering carpenter
bee chambers. Can't think of the name of it for the life
of me though.
--
We child proofed our home,
but they are still getting in.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

You might try posting at sci.bio.entomology.misc
I have seen that wasp before, also entering carpenter
bee chambers. Can't think of the name of it for the life
of me though.

Here we get a large fly like predator with mottled wings cleaning out
carpenter be holes CT USA

You might try posting at sci.bio.entomology.misc
I have seen that wasp before, also entering carpenter
bee chambers. Can't think of the name of it for the life
of me though.

A little further research on my own points to a variety of Potter
Wasp, a solitary wasp. Thanks for the idea; I'll do that.

Jesse