Old 17-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Adam Schwartz

Default How do I keep those *#$!@#ing ground squirrels from eating my sunflowers?

Don't get me wrong, I think ground squirrels are really cute, but
tearing my sunflowers apart, and damaging the stalk with their weight. How
can I keep them off of my sunflowers?

Thanks,
Adam

Old 17-07-2003, 05:02 PM
paghat

In article GczRa.81851$N7.10755@sccrnsc03, "Adam Schwartz"
wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I think ground squirrels are really cute, but
tearing my sunflowers apart, and damaging the stalk with their weight. How
can I keep them off of my sunflowers?

Thanks,
Adam

How does one keep flies off shit? Ben off Jennifer? Jimmy Carter off
peanuts? Bees off beebalm? Growing sunflowers in the presence of
squirrels is like filling the dogfood dish with quality kibble then
griping because the dog ate it.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 18-07-2003, 03:42 AM
dstvns

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:24:22 GMT, "Adam Schwartz"
wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I think ground squirrels are really cute,

I don't think they're cute. The neighbor's cat thinks they're tasty.

tearing my sunflowers apart, and damaging the stalk with their weight. How
can I keep them off of my sunflowers?

Don't plant sunflowers. Perhaps safflowers will be more to your
liking, and less to the squirrels.

Dan

Old 18-07-2003, 04:02 AM
JNJ

Don't get me wrong, I think ground squirrels are really cute, but
tearing my sunflowers apart, and damaging the stalk with their weight.

How
can I keep them off of my sunflowers?

The short answer -- you don't. The squirrels have the advantage as
sunflowers grow tall. If you put them in the center of a field, surrounded
with electric fence, a perimeter alarm hooked up to lasers, and pressure
sensitive mines they will STILL find a way to pop the head off JUST before
you do.

The best answer is to just plant more. You can try putting down bloodmeal
or other repellants but they'll be on the ground -- if you're like most
folks you probably have trees nearby, or a wall, or something else they can
climb so....

James

Old 18-07-2003, 05:52 PM
Shep

How
can I keep them off of my sunflowers?

Cats!

Old 18-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On 18 Jul 2003 09:46:54 -0700, (Shep) wrote:

Cats!

I'll take squirrels over kneeling in cat shit!