GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ever heard of Paulownia trees? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/370-ever-heard-paulownia-trees.html)

Cereoid+10 05-02-2003 09:21 AM

Ever heard of Paulownia trees?

You must have seen the only non-invasive Paulownia tomentosa on the planet
or else you are confusing it with a Catalpa.

After it flowers and fruits, the dust-like seed of Paulownia tomentosa are
spread far and wide by the wind.

Ann wrote in message
(Iris Cohen) expounded:

Paulownia tomentosa, or princess tree, has its good points. It depends on

where
you live. It would be at its best in Zone 6b. It is not hardy in the

North,
although there was one in Syracuse for many years. Any further south, it

is
extremely weedy and invasive, and you would have your neighbors cursing

you.

I just noticed this past spring/summer there's one growing in a
neighboring town. It blooms, and looks pretty good, but I don't see
any offspring anywhere. That's the only one I've ever seen. Pretty
thing.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Ann 06-02-2003 02:36 AM

Ever heard of Paulownia trees?

"Cereoid+10" expounded:

You must have seen the only non-invasive Paulownia tomentosa on the planet
or else you are confusing it with a Catalpa.

Not at all, it's definitely a Paulownia. But I'm in a colder range
and I don't think they do well around here, generally. This one is
protected a bit, by terrain.

After it flowers and fruits, the dust-like seed of Paulownia tomentosa are
spread far and wide by the wind.

I guess they just don't germinate well around here. I know they are
problematic in other areas, never said they weren't.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA