Old 02-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Harri85274

Default Ever heard of Paulownia trees?

I read this ad where this tree grows so fast in one season. goes to 30,40 or
even 50 feet high, with gorgeous lavender blooms.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:11 PM
madgard

they grow wild here in Eastern Tennessee. beautiful flowers, lots of pods
from those flowers later on, the leaves are huge and fuzzy, the tree does
grow fast, and if you don't mind a lot of huge leaves when they all fall
off, I'd say try one out if it's cheap. The old one we got with the house
we bought has to have the contorted limbs cut off over the roof because of
those flowers and pods, and it flowers on new growth. Don't plant to close
to your house. And the wood doesn't burn well. The Chinese use the wood for
boxes as it's tough and unusual. I took the limbs the electric company cut
off from around my wires leading to my house, and laid them as a border
around a new bed a few years ago. I think it's been 3 years, might be 4.
They haven't rotted yet, but the bark finally came off this year. The
blossoms look like like oversized wisteria clusters and smell like grape
Nehi.
madgardener

Old 03-02-2003, 01:21 AM
Cereoid+10

Don't even think about it.

Its one of the nastiest of weed trees.

The showy flowers don't make up for its bad habits.

Old 03-02-2003, 01:59 AM
Pam

Harri85274 wrote:

I read this ad where this tree grows so fast in one season. goes to 30,40 or
even 50 feet high, with gorgeous lavender blooms.

They grow fast, but NOT that fast in a single season. You can expect maybe 10-15
feet from a young tree annually, less as it matures. Contrary to what other
posts may lead you to believe, they are not a weed tree in many parts of the
country - location is the key.

Old 03-02-2003, 02:00 AM
Pat Brothers

Most folks side with Cereoid+10 on this but I rather like the thing. I
cut it back to ground every year and it will put up new shoots which
will reach 15 feet or more in a season. The first season leaves are at
least a foot across and very furry. No flowers with this treatment.
But then I like catalpas too.

Cereoid+10 wrote:

Don't even think about it.

Its one of the nastiest of weed trees.

The showy flowers don't make up for its bad habits.

Harri85274 wrote in message

I read this ad where this tree grows so fast in one season. goes to 30,40

or

even 50 feet high, with gorgeous lavender blooms.

Pat Brothers

The Powell House
Wake Forest, NC
USDA Zone 7b

Old 03-02-2003, 04:09 AM
Iris Cohen

I read this ad where this tree grows so fast in one season. goes to 30,40 or
even 50 feet high, with gorgeous lavender blooms.

Paulownia tomentosa, or princess tree, has its good points. It depends on where
you live. It would be at its best in Zone 6b. It is not hardy in the North,
although there was one in Syracuse for many years. Any further south, it is
extremely weedy and invasive, and you would have your neighbors cursing you.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 03-02-2003, 04:33 AM
madgard

you just HAD to drop the other shoe, didn't you, Tomj? Next thing we'll be
reading about dog shit in the front
yard..........................madgardener
"Tom Jaszewski" wrote in message
On 02 Feb 2003 20:21:47 GMT, (Harri85274) wrote:

I read this ad where this tree grows so fast in one season. goes to 30,40

or
even 50 feet high, with gorgeous lavender blooms.

Oh Oh, expect a cat thread next....

Regards,

tomj

Old 03-02-2003, 04:39 AM
madgard

I can attest that the daughter of my old one which is 36 years old grew 27
feet the first year. The one on the east side of the house no where near the
mother tree grew 26 feet the first year, the second year it passed the two
story outbuilding and last spring (3rd year) it bloomed. the choice is
yours. if you choose to purchase it, plant it with plenty of room away from
the house. cutting it back will cause it to grow leaves almost 2 foot across
and beautiful, but no flowers. .....madgardener zone 6b in Eastern Tennessee
"Tsu Dho Nimh" wrote in message
(Harri85274) wrote:

I read this ad where this tree grows so fast in one season. goes to 30,40

or
even 50 feet high, with gorgeous lavender blooms.

It's an invasive pest in parts of the USA ... Chinese native
originally.

I doubt that it actually grows that fast in one year, but it's a
fast-growing, short-lived, weak (blows over a lot) tree.

Heights of 13 m (43 ft) in 11 years have been reported in Russia.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

Old 03-02-2003, 04:41 AM
madgard

come to East Tennessee, girl, I'll show you more Pawlonia's than you can
shake a stick at! GBSEG read how much mine grew..........and all I have is
red clay soil
madgardener

Old 03-02-2003, 06:21 AM
B & J

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message

Paulownia tomentosa, or princess tree, has its good points. It depends on

where
you live. It would be at its best in Zone 6b. It is not hardy in the

North,
although there was one in Syracuse for many years. Any further south, it

is
extremely weedy and invasive, and you would have your neighbors cursing

you.

Iris,

If you ever travel across I-40 in TN in the spring when the Paulownia is in
bloom, you will understand why people think it is gorgeous. In fact, the
rest stop along the way have signs telling travelers what it is because so
many people ask. And as an aside, you will also know why it has gained the
adjective "invasive." Much of the roadside on I-40 has Paulownia in the
landscape in all sizes, and it doesn't seem to be fussy where it grows.

There is a single, large specimen next to a pottery shop in the area where
we live in northern AR that is beautiful in both spring and summer. It gets
no care and is doing extremely well, which is reason enough to worry about
invasiveness.

John

Old 03-02-2003, 06:06 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Iris Cohen) wrote:

I read this ad where this tree grows so fast in one season. goes to

30,40 or
even 50 feet high, with gorgeous lavender blooms.

Paulownia tomentosa, or princess tree, has its good points. It depends

on where
you live. It would be at its best in Zone 6b. It is not hardy in the North,
although there was one in Syracuse for many years. Any further south, it is
extremely weedy and invasive, and you would have your neighbors cursing you.

Iris

I've not heard its particular invasive for around here (Northwest) though
I've seen it condemned on the east coast, & in my local town it is on the
"No!" list for streetside trees for fear its roots will lift sidewalks
(though many trees equally apt to do that are permitted). Many on the
market now are clones, & I've never looked to see if they are ever
assessed as less apt to be invasive. A big old one at Bloedell Gardens is
beautiful even in winter with big burst seedpods decorating it top to
bottom. Such a tree wouldn't be in keeping with my yards, but if I wanted
something that grows rapidly with oversized leaves, I'd go for our local
giant maple, which is not regarded as invasive merely because it is
native. As it happens this maple keeps choosing me since they erupt here &
there on their own, & I finally decided to let one stay at least for a
while; that one sprang up from seed to 8 feet in on year (no parent tree
in eye-shot so the seeds fly in from very far), but some perversity
overcame me & I trimmed it to 6 feet hoping it wouldn't be a rangy young
thing. Still undecided whether to keep it, if it stayed enough years it'd
take out part of the fence & shove at the sidewalk.

A pink-flowering horsechestnut would also be a nice (perhaps better)
Northwest choice instead of Paulownia, though I've no intention to plant a
horsechestnut either. I had one erupt in one of the gardens immediately
underneath a stone bench (probably it was the regular white-blooming one,
& likely a crow tossed the nut into the yard as they're always trying to
break walnuts & chestuts by dropping them from on high). Under a bench was
a foolish place to seed itself, so I dug it up & put it in a pot, but
either it disliked the disruption or I cared for it badly as it died in
the pot.

Judging by what I have planted instead of big-leafed trees, I'm apparently
keener on trees with littler leaves, & love the likes of beeches or oaks
or Japanese maples or the usual temperate fruit trees.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/