Old 02-02-2003, 09:14 PM
Larry Lucchetti

Default Leaf Problem: Sansevieria trifasciata 'Laurentii'

I'm having a problem with the leaves on my two Sansevieria trifasciata
'Laurentii'. Besides the fact that they're losing their shape and bending
over significantly, they also seem to be blistering -- little pockets of air
and liquid just under the outer membrane. I've had the plants about two or
three weeks and have been watering them weekly, letting the soil dry before
watering them again. They're set in 10-inch pots and stay at about 65-70
degrees F (room temperature).

Any thoughts on what's causing this? Thanks.

--L

Old 02-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 16:14:22 -0500, "Larry Lucchetti"
wrote:

Any thoughts on what's causing this? Thanks.

over watering....several of my S. species get water every few months,
and the ambient humidity in my house is usually under 20%.

Regards,

tomj
Old 03-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Pam

Larry Lucchetti wrote:

I'm having a problem with the leaves on my two Sansevieria trifasciata
'Laurentii'. Besides the fact that they're losing their shape and bending
over significantly, they also seem to be blistering -- little pockets of air
and liquid just under the outer membrane. I've had the plants about two or
three weeks and have been watering them weekly, letting the soil dry before
watering them again. They're set in 10-inch pots and stay at about 65-70
degrees F (room temperature).

Any thoughts on what's causing this? Thanks.

This plant takes a LOT of neglect. Those fleshy leaves store a lot of moisture,
so a weekly watering is excessive They originate from dry, rocky habitats, so
mimic that by watering only enough to keep the plant from shrivling, specially
in the winter.

Old 03-02-2003, 03:13 AM
Iris Cohen

Besides the fact that they're losing their shape and bending over
significantly, they also seem to be blistering -- little pockets of air and
liquid just under the outer membrane.
letting the soil dry before watering them again.

The problem you describe is called oedema. It is similar to cracking in
tomatoes. It is caused by the leaf cells drying out & then rupturing when they
are filled with water. You need to water the plant more often & don't let it
dry out so much.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885
Old 03-02-2003, 05:47 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On 03 Feb 2003 03:13:33 GMT, (Iris Cohen) wrote:

You need to water the plant more often & don't let it
dry out so much.

about as useful as your usual fungicide cure....

Regards,

tomj

Old 05-02-2003, 12:55 AM
hermine stover

wrote:

I'm having a problem with the leaves on my two Sansevieria trifasciata
'Laurentii'. Besides the fact that they're losing their shape and bending
over significantly, they also seem to be blistering -- little pockets of air
and liquid just under the outer membrane. I've had the plants about two or
three weeks and have been watering them weekly, letting the soil dry before
watering them again. They're set in 10-inch pots and stay at about 65-70
degrees F (room temperature).

Any thoughts on what's causing this? Thanks.

--L

Are these old, outer leaves? My guess is they were greenhouse-grown
and are resentful of a new environment. Also, letting plants like this
dry out between waterings is not a good idea, the outer feeder
rootlets die off from this drying out and then the plant cannot take
up water. The dropping of the leaves sounds like they are too dry.
this is my best guesss. i hope you have good light for them, too.

hermine
Old 05-02-2003, 11:27 AM
Larry Lucchetti

"Larry Lucchetti" wrote in message
I'm having a problem with the leaves on my two Sansevieria trifasciata
'Laurentii'. Besides the fact that they're losing their shape and bending
over significantly, they also seem to be blistering -- little pockets of

air
and liquid just under the outer membrane. I've had the plants about two

or
three weeks and have been watering them weekly, letting the soil dry

before
watering them again. They're set in 10-inch pots and stay at about 65-70
degrees F (room temperature).

Any thoughts on what's causing this? Thanks.

--L

Alright, I seem to have gotten a combination of water more and water less

--L

Old 05-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Cereoid+10

You're finally through with speculation?

Check out this webpage for Sansevieria diseases and their treatment.

http://www.hortworld.com/infosources...hase/yucca.asp

It would be best to remove the effected leaves altogether.

Larry Lucchetti wrote in message
"Larry Lucchetti" wrote in message
I'm having a problem with the leaves on my two Sansevieria trifasciata
'Laurentii'. Besides the fact that they're losing their shape and

bending
over significantly, they also seem to be blistering -- little pockets of

air
and liquid just under the outer membrane. I've had the plants about two

or
three weeks and have been watering them weekly, letting the soil dry

before
watering them again. They're set in 10-inch pots and stay at about

65-70
degrees F (room temperature).

Any thoughts on what's causing this? Thanks.

--L

Alright, I seem to have gotten a combination of water more and water less

leaves?

--L

Old 05-02-2003, 10:06 PM
Larry Lucchetti

[...]

"Cereoid+10" wrote in message
.com...
You're finally through with speculation?

Check out this webpage for Sansevieria diseases and their treatment.

http://www.hortworld.com/infosources...hase/yucca.asp

It would be best to remove the effected leaves altogether.

I had debated pruning the plants, but that seemed a little extreme, as about
90% of the leaves of one plant are affected and almost all of the leaves of
the other. Does removing the leaves still make sense?

--L

Old 06-02-2003, 01:57 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Or get a full body tatoo and become an instant expert?

Old 06-02-2003, 12:11 PM
Cereoid+10

Would seem to become an instant expert, you just add water!

Don't forgot to mention besides the tattoos, you need to shave your head,
join a biker gang, raise big bamboo and pit bulls too!!

How else can you intimidate everyone? (The Tattooed Lady does have her other
ways too.)

http://www.geocities.com/airmeenah/

http://www.endangeredspecies.com/text/who.htm

How weird can you get in southern California and still expect to be taken
seriously?

Is there is nothing worse than resentful Sansevierias?

Old 06-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Cereoid+10

Removing the sick leaves only makes sense if you don't want to spread a
possible bacterial infection throughout your collection before the new
growth comes out in spring.

If you don't, your plants could be reduced to mush long before then.

What is more extreme? 90% or waiting for 100% and spreading to other plants?

Be sure to clean your tools with alcohol or bleach and to wash your hands
thoroughly after handling the infected plants.

The more practical thing to do would be to just throw out the infected
plants and replace them rather than take the risk.

You may also want to spray all your plants with an appropriate bactericide
to help prevent the infection from spreading to your other plants.

[...]

.com...