GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Has anybody ever "murdered" a plant? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/37136-re-has-anybody-ever-murdered-plant.html)

paghat 18-07-2003 02:47 AM

Has anybody ever "murdered" a plant?

I've murderd lots of weeds. I once hired a couple kids to murder some
pampas grass. The houseplants I've killed I suppose is closer to
plantslaughter since it wasn't intentional.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Wendy Chatley Green 18-07-2003 03:32 AM

Has anybody ever "murdered" a plant?

For some inexplicable reasons, (paghat)
wrote:

:I've murderd lots of weeds. I once hired a couple kids to murder some
:pampas grass. The houseplants I've killed I suppose is closer to
:plantslaughter since it wasn't intentional.

My local greenhouse would refer to my yearly purchase of a
fuschia hanging basket as my annual sacrifice to the plant gods.

--
Wendy Chatley Green

Salty Thumb 18-07-2003 04:02 AM

Has anybody ever "murdered" a plant?

(paghat) wrote in news:paghat-
:

I've murderd lots of weeds. I once hired a couple kids to murder some
pampas grass. The houseplants I've killed I suppose is closer to
plantslaughter since it wasn't intentional.

-paghat the ratgirl

this year, over 100 tomato seedlings damped off. in the same week I
inadvertently flipped over 2 trays of marigolds, chamomile, lavender,
beans and more tomatoes. Some of the beans managed to escape, though.

last year I had a pepper plant in a pot and left it out to freeze. plus
about 3 rosemary cuttings died of neglect. tried to root some hybrid tea
roses, ended up with several brown sticks.

prior to that, put a peace lily (?) out in the sun whereupon it turned
half brown (but it survived and had children). dug up some coleus to
transplant, but ended up knocking them over with a lawn mower instead.

In college, got a gift of a small jade plant, thought it would be good to
put it out in the sun, whereupon it was promptly pecked to death by a
bird or flying squirrel.

I cut down an annoying tree (silver maple?) in my wayward youth.

In France I am also known as the Butcher of Dande Lyons. Mwuahaha

- Salty Thumb of Death

Warren 18-07-2003 04:52 AM

paghat wrote:
I've murderd lots of weeds. I once hired a couple kids to murder some
pampas grass. The houseplants I've killed I suppose is closer to
plantslaughter since it wasn't intentional.

If plants were children, the child protective services people would have
stripped my landscaping clean, shuffled all my plants off to foster
gardens, and thrown me in jail long ago.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Frogleg 18-07-2003 02:52 PM

Has anybody ever "murdered" a plant?

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:36:33 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

I've murderd lots of weeds. I once hired a couple kids to murder some
pampas grass. The houseplants I've killed I suppose is closer to
plantslaughter since it wasn't intentional.

My mother disliked 'snakeplants', but was too tenderhearted to throw
away gifts of them. So she arranged to "forget" to water it/them as
she did the rest of her houseplants. It was only recently that I
discovered sparse watering is *ideal* for snakeplants, and so they
flourished. I believe she ultimately solved the problem by giving
these prime specimens to others.

jammer 19-07-2003 12:22 AM

Has anybody ever "murdered" a plant?

Killed yes, murdered no. I brought in my aloe plants last winter and
watered the crap out of them. They turned to mush and i threw them out
with the garbage.

GrampysGurl 20-07-2003 10:22 PM

Has anybody ever "murdered" a plant?

If plants were children, the child protective services people would have
stripped my landscaping clean, shuffled all my plants off to foster
gardens, and thrown me in jail long ago.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I so know what you mean!!!

Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut

Cereoid-UR12- 20-07-2003 11:12 PM

Has anybody ever "murdered" a plant?

Yeah, I've murdered quite a few plants in my time but every one of them was
bad and deserved to die, those damn dirty weeds.

Of course, things were different back then, with America being at war and
all.

Nobody likes committing herbicide but its something that has to be done
sometimes.

Zemedelec 21-07-2003 07:06 PM

Has anybody ever "murdered" a plant?

No--just plantslaughter. Mainly through overwatering. "For each man kills the
thing he loves"(Oscar Wilde, "Ballad of Redding Gaol".
zemedelec