Old 03-02-2003, 01:07 AM
Kyle Boatright

Default Compost - Compact or Loose

I've finished a multi-bin composting set-up, and was wondering if I should
just pile the material in there loose, or if a bit of very mild compaction
would speed up the decomposition process.

KB

Old 03-02-2003, 02:21 AM
Ira

Loose for sure, compost needs air to succeed.

--
See our website at http://www.southernexposure.com

t...

Old 03-02-2003, 06:48 PM
Snooze

Composts piles need airflow. The bacteria that you want to break down the
stuff needs lots of oxygen. The bacteria that you don't want, that create
bad smelling compost piles don't like a lot of oxygen.

Just pile your yard waste into it, the weight of the material itself will
compact it to the proper ammount.

Sameer

Old 04-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 18:48:31 GMT, "Snooze"
wrote:

Composts piles need airflow. The bacteria that you want to break down the
stuff needs lots of oxygen. The bacteria that you don't want, that create
bad smelling compost piles don't like a lot of oxygen.

Just pile your yard waste into it, the weight of the material itself will
compact it to the proper ammount.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

I've finished a multi-bin composting set-up, and was wondering if I should
just pile the material in there loose, or if a bit of very mild compaction
would speed up the decomposition process.

One of the recommended efforts in composting is "turning" or fluffing
up to mix ingredients and get oxygen to the components. Garbage
historians report finding near-perfect newspapers from the 1920s that
have been buried in 'compacted' landfill.