Old 18-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Shepherd

Default Baking Soda KIlls Crabgrass?

Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on crabgrass it
will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 PM
BiG_Orange

"Shepherd" wrote in message
news
Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on crabgrass
it
will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

Why don't you just do it and report back to us in 5 days.

Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Shepherd

"BiG_Orange" @ wrote in message ...
"Shepherd" wrote in message
news
Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on crabgrass

it
will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

Why don't you just do it and report back to us in 5 days.

Checking it out now.

My question was: Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda
approach?

I take it you have not!

Shepherd

Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Salty Thumb

"BiG_Orange" @ wrote in :

"Shepherd" wrote in message
news
Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on crabgrass
it will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

Why don't you just do it and report back to us in 5 days.

okay, I just tried it. Not sure I used enough as the wind kept blowing it
away, there was enough to leave visible white specks. It's going to rain
repeatedly in the next five days. Also not 100% positive mine is
crabgrass, but matches everyway that I checked. Crab grass is growing back
from being weedwhacked, but I didn't sprinkle everything, so there is a
control group.

-- Salty
Old 18-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Salty Thumb

"BiG_Orange" @ wrote in :

"Shepherd" wrote in message
news
Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on crabgrass
it will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

Why don't you just do it and report back to us in 5 days.

I wouldn't blame anyone for checking-in. It could be that the person in
the other forum was off their nut, kidding or trolling.

-- Salty

Old 18-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Salty Thumb

Shepherd wrote:
Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on
crabgrass it will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

hey someone this forum said ****ing on crab grass for 5 days will kill it.
Anybody try it yet?

what should I tell the neighbors when they tell me to put Willie back in
the garage?
Old 19-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Valkyrie

Shepherd wrote:
Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on
crabgrass it will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

hey someone this forum said ****ing on crab grass for 5 days will kill it.
Anybody try it yet?

what should I tell the neighbors when they tell me to put Willie back in
the garage?

Just tell them your new "gardener" is a real pecker-head!

Val

Old 19-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Tono

Shepherd wrote:

Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on
crabgrass it will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

hey someone this forum said ****ing on crab grass for 5 days will kill it.
Anybody try it yet?

All I know is that I have yet to see crab grass growing in a urinal.

what should I tell the neighbors when they tell me to put Willie back in
the garage?

With close neighbors, you will have to use the catheter and sprinkler attachment.

Tono

Old 19-07-2003, 05:42 AM
John DeBoo

Shepherd wrote:

"BiG_Orange" @ wrote in message ...

"Shepherd" wrote in message
news
Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on crabgrass

it

will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

Why don't you just do it and report back to us in 5 days.

Checking it out now.

My question was: Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda
approach?

I take it you have not!

Shepherd

Before trying it, I wonder if the baking soda hawould have any
advwerse affect upon regular garden plants? It wouldn't seem to
but... If it doesn't then I'll give it a shot in my garden. Shoot,
worst it can do is not work so what am I outG?

Old 20-07-2003, 03:22 PM
BiG_Orange

Checking it out now.

My question was: Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda
approach?

I take it you have not!

Shepherd

Report back in five days or you're fired. ;-)

Old 22-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Shepherd

"Shepherd" wrote in message
news
Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on crabgrass
it
will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

Well, so much for baking soda!

I applied baking soda on several clumps of crabgrass almost exactly 5 days
ago and those clumps look as green and are as vigorous and healthy looking
as they did before the treatment.

Shepherd

Old 23-07-2003, 02:32 AM
BiG_Orange

I applied baking soda on several clumps of crabgrass almost exactly 5 days
ago and those clumps look as green and are as vigorous and healthy looking
as they did before the treatment.

Shepherd

Ole Wives Tale then.

Old 23-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Salty Thumb

Salty Thumb wrote in
:

"BiG_Orange" @ wrote in :

"Shepherd" wrote in message
news
Just read on another forum that if you sprinkle baking soda on
crabgrass it will wither, turn black and die within 5 days.

Has any one on this newsgroup tried the baking soda approach?

Shepherd

Why don't you just do it and report back to us in 5 days.

okay, I just tried it. Not sure I used enough as the wind kept
blowing it away, there was enough to leave visible white specks. It's
going to rain repeatedly in the next five days. Also not 100%
positive mine is crabgrass, but matches everyway that I checked. Crab
grass is growing back from being weedwhacked, but I didn't sprinkle
everything, so there is a control group.

-- Salty

In a poorly conducted experiment, a light dusting of sodium bicarbonate
powder appears to have had no effect. Foliage in applied area appears
similar to control group. Rain and substantial wind occured during the
test period.

-- Salty