Old 03-02-2003, 01:36 AM
Betsy

Default Saw my first robin today :(

Yup. Here in Balmer, Marelun, where it's been below 32 for several weeks
and below 20 for a good portion of that time, and only the last two days has
been above freezing.

But it's sad because of where I saw it--which was my living room floor.
Yup, the cats brought it in through the cat door and left it as a lovely
present for me. Then they tried to blame it on the dog (he's outnumbered)
and I have to admit, the dog didn't look very innocent, nose covered with
feathers & gore as it was. Yuk.

Now before you flame me I hasten to say my cats cannot leave their own back
yard, so are not a threat to other gardens. And I love birds and all
animals great and small, and am grieving at the loss of this fellow (he was
a BIG bird, too) as I vacuum up the many feathers strewn across my living
room. Seems they had quite a romp while I was out today.

My question: what in the WORLD was a robin doing here in Baltimore at this
time of year? Don't they migrate south for the winter?

May he rest in peace (sniff).

Old 03-02-2003, 03:32 AM
madgard

Sometimes the robins hang around because it's easier pickings in cities than
it is out in the wild. the chickadees that have the territory and market
cornered at the local McD's will bear me out on that one. I've seen the
little things eating french fries!

don't worry, there'll be more. My cats do the same with me with those
precious finches that I've lured to the 7 bird feeders hanging on the
pawlonia branches. Some were so little and precious it broke my heart, but
they're cats after all and if they're this slow, something else would have
gotten them out here, like an owl, or hawk........I still scold Pesters
anyway, and now especially since he's trying to teach his new little
brudder, Polluxx who has the grace of a drunken moose on a tight
wire................
madgardener

Old 03-02-2003, 03:35 AM
Faye Lifford-Earle

Thought I was seeing things.......but no!!!...it was a robin all
right......sitting on some neighbours shrubs. Tis a great site, here in
NS
Ldymac

Old 03-02-2003, 05:19 AM
Cricket

Perhaps tis a great sight, but perhaps tis a bad omen? Don't ask me, I'm an
econut who is very quick to claim that acid rain will make the sky fall.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket

Old 03-02-2003, 12:26 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Robins.......temp. here has been down to zero degrees F and below 20 on
mumerous times and we have robins around...they just love our holly berries.

HW........Massachusetts

Old 03-02-2003, 02:41 PM
BT

What a bunch of CRAP!
It broke your heart?!!!! And you still allow your cats to roam around outside
and kill more birds?!
There is no reason for cats to roam freely outside. They are very happy to live
inside and watch the birds through the window.

And as for an owl or hawk getting the "slow" birds, well now they can't because
your cats got them first! Cats are NOT natural predators in the wild. When are
you people going to fianlly come to grips with this?!!!

I love cats! But I keep mine indoors where they belong! Because I also love
birds!

BT

snip...

Old 03-02-2003, 03:57 PM
zhanataya

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:41:46 -0500, "BT" wrote:

They are very happy to live
inside and watch the birds through the window.

Heard this used in cat threads many, many times. Tell you what, you
leave your doors open and if the cats don't go outside, your team wins
the argument. ;-)

zhan
Old 03-02-2003, 08:24 PM

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 15:57:40 GMT, zhanataya
wrote:

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:41:46 -0500, "BT" wrote:

They are very happy to live
inside and watch the birds through the window.

Heard this used in cat threads many, many times. Tell you what, you
leave your doors open and if the cats don't go outside, your team wins
the argument. ;-)

zhan

Succinct, perceptive and satirical.
Zhan at her best!!!

Regards
Geoff
Old 03-02-2003, 10:39 PM
zhanataya

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 20:24:58 GMT, wrote:

Succinct, perceptive and satirical.
Zhan at her best!!!

Regards
Geoff

Thanks Geoff, I love compliments.

zhan
Old 03-02-2003, 11:10 PM
madgard

"BT" wrote in message
.. .
What a bunch of CRAP!

no, the bunchacrap is over in the pasture next to me to the
south.............

It broke your heart?!!!!

well, not literally, it just kinda makes me a little sad for the little
finches. Of course my birds don't mess with the bluejays, and their best
caught ones are the mourning doves. silly, slow things.

And you still allow your cats to roam around outside
and kill more birds?!

hell yes, I have six cats, and three INSIST on using an inside box despite
that there is a cat window for their convenience. ALLOW? Unless I was
comotose, I'D want to be allowed to roam around outside, as being locked in
looking at the outside would eventually make me crazy. I respect the nature
of my felines. I feed them well enough that except for their need to catch
something on occaison, they don't hunt for the sheer need of meat. (I make
sure they get some raw meat as they require it)

And yes, I ALLOW them to kill more birds. I figure this way I'm doing my
part. The pesticides that the farmers use around here isn't enough reason
for them to drop dead, nor is the new outbreak of West Nile enough reason to
kill off those pesky song makers. I feel that as a responsible cat owner, I
owe it to them to get as much feline enjoyment as their little lives can
handle. Oh and I didn't tell you about my HUNTRESS, Whacka Dew. My goodness,
she goes out and murders little bunnies. Sometimes takes out a whole kit of
them after a week. Eats them from tail to head and only leaves me the tail.
She also kills grain rats that are at least as large as rabbits, and has on
two occaison's taken on and killed baby possom's but didn't eat them and
doesn't do that anymore. I praise her. I don't have to feed her either, as
she's fat and sleek.g

There is no reason for cats to roam freely outside. They are very happy

to live
inside and watch the birds through the window.

kinda like being locked inside watching other gardeners play in the flowers,
eh? So despite the fact that cats were originally born out in the wild, and
despite that we "domesticated" them (I tend to argue with this one, cats USE
us as we're much more inclined to have access to easy food, and warmth and
we're just convenience, whereas the dog NEEDS us........) it's our right to
lock them inside torturing them by letting them see flitting birds thru the
glass?

I hafta tell you, I sure did step on yer tit with that one.........and I
wasnt' even up for a food fight

And as for an owl or hawk getting the "slow" birds, well now they can't

because
your cats got them first!

Horseshit. I've SEEN the frelling owls and the hawks get the birds way more
than my overfed, spoiled housecats. I think the body count is somewhere
around 10 birds a year amongst the ones who bother to even hunt. Pesters is
the worst, he tends to like to just hunt them and he's fast. Whacka Dew
wants meat and loves the hunt, and Polluxx is new to all of this because he
was locked inside a 3 story apartment for the first 7 months of his life. He
adores being allowed to go in and out at his pleasure. And I can't get
****ed if the coyote's get any of my cats, because they're all preditors
honey. I figure my cats aren't a drop in the bucket compared to nature's
cycle out here in the woods and rural area I live.

I'm just glad we don't have the black bears and wolves that are across up in
the SMokies to deal with. I like them too.

Cats are NOT natural predators in the wild.

and where do you get your misinformation? Cat's are not natural predator's
in the wild? You need to find a website and see what happens when cats are
abandoned out in the wild (like city people driving outside the limits and
dumping little "helpless" cats out of their car to live or die.) When cat's
are dumped in the wild, they either fall back on their inbred instincts of
feralness and hunt and survive, or they get snapped up by coyote's or wild
dogs. And dump a dog in the wild, and most likely he won't do half as well
as a cat does because he's a pack animal, where the cat could give a shit
less if it has a kindle to hang with.

When are
you people going to fianlly come to grips with this?!!!

I'll come to grips with your illusions of misinformation when pigs fly with
wings of silk.

are those multiple exclaimation points and question marks an indication that
you're REALLY ****ed at me? Gee, didn't know I still had it in me! GBSEG

I love cats! But I keep mine indoors where they belong! Because I also

love
birds!

Ooooooooooooo, so you love cats, and you keep your's inside where they
belong. Good for you. and cudo's for your love of birds. I love the little
winged dinosaurs too honey, but honestly you're just too worked up over
this. go hug a cactus and get back to me on how it took your mind off cats
and birds..........

madgardener amused no end..............

BT

snip...

Old 04-02-2003, 01:10 AM
Gloria

Oh, how I do enjoy a good food fight!! You go, Maddie! Whoo-hoo! What
fun!!!!!!! (those multiple exclamation points indicate that I am REALLY
amused). ROFLMAO

Gloria

"madgard" wrote in message
news

"BT" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

"madgard" wrote in message
snip...
don't worry, there'll be more. My cats do the same with me with those
precious finches that I've lured to the 7 bird feeders hanging on the
pawlonia branches. Some were so little and precious it broke my

heart,
but
they're cats after all and if they're this slow, something else would

have
gotten them out here, like an owl, or hawk........I still scold

Pesters
anyway, and now especially since he's trying to teach his new little
brudder, Polluxx who has the grace of a drunken moose on a tight
madgardener

---