GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   General question on perrenial seed starting... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/3750-general-question-perrenial-seed-starting.html)

Kevin Miller 05-03-2003 07:52 PM

General question on perrenial seed starting...

Do I need to start perrenials in larger pots, say coffee cup size?
I'd like to use the seed flats with "two finger" sized slots to have
more plants but I read somewhere that you need to use larger pots...

Thanks!

Kevin Miller
Zone 5 Indiana

Tom & Debbie 05-03-2003 08:27 PM

General question on perrenial seed starting...

What I do is start them in the smaller flats and then when they get the
secondary leaves I transplant them to a larger pot. When I see roots
matting at the bottom, I then transplant them in a bigger pot and eventually
plant outdoors or in a large basket/pot.
debbie
news:3D308DC37126E7CE.15593F7D6CFCDAF5.B4DDD337F2C ...

animaux 05-03-2003 09:28 PM

General question on perrenial seed starting...

I will broadcast the seed into a flat with furrows I make with a pencil. After
they put out their first set of true leaves I transplant into cell packs, then
on to 4 inch, so on. I've germinated many different types of perennials, some
of which need light, or heat to germinate. If you could be more specific on
what perennials you want to plant from seed, it would narrow the propagation
methods down.

Victoria

Ian 06-03-2003 04:51 AM

General question on perrenial seed starting...

Kevin Miller wrote in message news:3D308DC37126E7CE.15593F7D6CFCDAF5.B4DDD337F2 ...
Do I need to start perrenials in larger pots, say coffee cup size?
I'd like to use the seed flats with "two finger" sized slots to have
more plants but I read somewhere that you need to use larger pots...

Start your plants in the flats, but transplant your plants into bigger
pots as they grow. The bigger they grow the more root space they need

Ian

[email protected] 06-03-2003 04:51 AM

General question on perrenial seed starting...

Kevin Miller wrote in message news:3D308DC37126E7CE.15593F7D6CFCDAF5.B4DDD337F2 ...
Do I need to start perrenials in larger pots, say coffee cup size?
I'd like to use the seed flats with "two finger" sized slots to have
more plants but I read somewhere that you need to use larger pots...

Thanks!

Kevin Miller
Zone 5 Indiana

I have never use a small pot for perrenials because they propagate
intirely to fast. I know this form planting them in the ground. Once
they have popluated an area I will separate them and they will
propagate even faster then the first time they were planted.

Thanks

Crystal Harris
Ohio