GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   fresh dill and parsley (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/37543-fresh-dill-parsley.html)

Mpb58 20-07-2003 02:02 AM

fresh dill and parsley

I just obtained some fresh dill and parsley from an organis farm. How do I
store them?

Phisherman 20-07-2003 02:12 AM

fresh dill and parsley

On 20 Jul 2003 00:53:46 GMT, (Mpb58) wrote:

I just obtained some fresh dill and parsley from an organis farm. How do I
store them?

Fresh herbs will only keep 2 or 3 days, but you can dehydrate or
freeze them. I have jars and jars of dried herbs that last through
the winter months. There is a better unique taste to fresh parsley,
however.

SugarChile 20-07-2003 02:22 AM

fresh dill and parsley

Put them in a glass or small jar of fresh water, like you would with cut
flowers. Loosely drape a plastic bag over the top of the whole works--prop
it up with a chopstick if necessary. Then refrigerate.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

J. Lane 20-07-2003 08:22 AM

fresh dill and parsley

Hey there!
How much did you get? If it's just a little and can be used soon, put it
in the fridge in a paper bag.
If it's a lot, you can tie them up and hang them upside-down until dry
and clean the leaves off the stems, putting them in labelled jars for later
use as dried herbs.
J.Lane

Pat Kiewicz 20-07-2003 01:22 PM

fresh dill and parsley

Mpb58 said:

I just obtained some fresh dill and parsley from an organis farm. How do I
store them?

Short term, with the stems in water in the fridge or the coolest part of the house.
Longer term, I'd freeze the dill leaves. Just put them in a freezer bag with most
of the air squeezed out of it. The parsley I'd either dry or make into a parsley
pesto, which I would then freeze.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

[email protected] 21-07-2003 06:52 PM

fresh dill and parsley

I have kept fresh Dill in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge for over a week with not problem. For parsley that I want to keep long term
I either dry it or just freeze it fresh picked but make sure it's dry, ie, don't rinse with water. The only downside to freezing and drying it that is it best used in cooking
and not a good garnish.

cheers,
sparkie