GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   staghorn ferns, feeding? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/3775-staghorn-ferns-feeding.html)

mcameron, bill 06-03-2003 01:39 AM

staghorn ferns, feeding?

any ideas on how to feed these critters?

more ? peat moss, bark, liquid fert?

thanks

bill

Dewitt 06-03-2003 01:51 AM

staghorn ferns, feeding?

On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 17:32:11 -0800, "mcameron, bill"
wrote:

any ideas on how to feed these critters?

more ? peat moss, bark, liquid fert?

thanks

bill

30-10-10 at 1/3 the recommended rate weekly works for me.

deg

mcameron, bill 06-03-2003 01:51 AM

staghorn ferns, feeding?

as in liquid or dropped in the bark/moss?

animaux 06-03-2003 03:51 PM

staghorn ferns, feeding?

Staghorn ferns, as many other epiphitic plants do not usually take up nutrients
from their roots. The roots are actually hold tights to the tree or whatever
they are grown on. They uptake nutrients via their hairy foliage on the bottom
and top side of the leaves. I feed mine with a spray of liquid seaweed and I
keep the sphagnum moss they live on slightly moist, allowing it to dry out
between waterings.

TheS 06-03-2003 05:15 PM

staghorn ferns, feeding?

mcameron, bill wrote:
any ideas on how to feed these critters?

more ? peat moss, bark, liquid fert?

thanks

bill

We just toss a few banana skins into the top every now and then. They're
metres tall now!