Old 22-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Linda W.

Default How to Root an African Violet Leaf? ...

Hello ...

I posted recently asking about one of my African violets, which was
wilted.

So far, I've been unable to improve its situation -- in fact, it's now
down to just some roots in the soil. This plant has sentimental value
to me, and so I am quite disappointed that this has occurred. I've
left the roots in the soil in the pot, hoping that there still might
be something of an African-violet miracle and perhaps it might still
leaf out again?

Meanwhile, it was also suggested that I try rooting one of the leaves
from the plant. I took a leaf from the plant back when it still had
leaves and placed it in a small cup of water. The stem is in water,
not the leaf itself.

It has been in the water for more than a week, but I don't see any
evidence of rooting yet. Does it generally take a long time? Should
I just continue to keep it in the water?

Many thanks for any advice.

Linda W.
Old 22-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Phisherman

On 22 Jul 2003 07:52:05 -0700, (Linda W.) wrote:

[...]

It will take 3-4 weeks to start rooting. Personally, I'd take it out
of the water and put it into moist vermiculite. The problem with
water is when you remove the leaf and roots to pot it up, the roots
will cling together in a clump. This won't happen using a rooting
medium and you'll get a stronger, healthier African violet. Do not
give any fertilizer for 6 months--the soil has enough nutrients.
After a baby starts to grow, you can cut off the mother leaf and
re-root the same leaf to make another plant!
Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Stand it up in a pot with the stem down and leaf up. Lean the leaf
against the side of the pot. Have the leaf edge just above the
surface of the vermiculite, so it's just the stem or petiole in the
vermiculite, about 1" of it. Water the vermiculite, then seal the
whole thing in a ziplock bag. Put it in a dappled shade spot. Leave
it alone. It can take from 3 wks to a year to propagate a leaf like
this. As long as the "mother" leaf is standing firm, leave it alone,
it's alive. The baby plants, 1 or more, will sprout up in front of
the mother leaf above the soil line.

Cynthia