Old 22-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Jacqueline Davidson

Default itchy mosquito bites, OT

What works best for these bites? I use diphenhydramine cream, cortisone
cream, nothing works.
Jackie

Old 22-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Marcy Hege

We've found what is called a "sting stick" at the local drug store. About the
size of a highlighter pen, you dab the "point" of the pen on the itching bite.
Other than ammonia, I don't remember what else is in the stick. Sure does make
bites stop itching!
Old 22-07-2003, 11:08 PM

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:49:28 -0700, "Jacqueline Davidson"
wrote:

What works best for these bites? I use diphenhydramine cream, cortisone
cream, nothing works.

Can you take oral antihistamines? Like Claritin (supposed to be less
drowsy-making than other brands). Just a thought.

The low-tech way is supposed to be to bathe the area in your saliva
*immediately* and keep it up until itching dies down -- w/o
scratching, of course. Some people have reported success.

I'm facing the same prob. since I'm going to mosquito country, and
I'm very sensitive -- I'd almost say allergic -- to insect bites. We
have fleas this year. It took me a while to wake up and treat the cat
and vacuuum & spray rugs.

--

Persephone

Old 22-07-2003, 11:08 PM
news.verizon.net

Here is a good home remedy. Put a dab of toothpaste on the bite. Works for
me.

Old 22-07-2003, 11:08 PM
David Hill

"...... What works best for these bites? ......."

Try Tooth paste

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Bill Bolle

Jacqueline Davidson wrote:
What works best for these bites? I use diphenhydramine cream, cortisone
cream, nothing works.
Jackie

What I have found is that "Vick's" vaporub works pretty good on flea,
tick and chigger bites. Should work on mosquito bites also but I
haven't had any so I can't say for sure. It seems that the menthol is
what stops the itch.

Bill

Old 23-07-2003, 02:32 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:49:28
-0700, "Jacqueline Davidson" did speak the
following bit of wisdom:

What works best for these bites? I use diphenhydramine cream, cortisone
cream, nothing works.

Salt. Seriously... Wet your skin and apply table salt. Rub it into the
bite as hard as you like and leave the salt to dry on your skin. You
can brush if off after that, it will have done its job. This works for
most insect bites or stings. So does meat tenderizer, but salt is much
cheaper and easier to carry or find if you're on the road. (Keep a
handful of salt packets in your glove box for travel emergencies.)

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"
Old 23-07-2003, 02:42 AM
Julia Altshuler

Jacqueline Davidson wrote:

What works best for these bites? I use diphenhydramine cream, cortisone
cream, nothing works.
Jackie

For immediate relief when you feel like you'd rather rip your leg off than put
up with any more itching: ice. Freeze the area until it is nicely numb. A can
of soda kept in the refrigerator is a neat (meaning no melting to mop up) way to
put something cold on a neck, bottom of foot, etc.

For longer term relief so you can get to sleep: Benedryl or any other
over-the-counter antihistamine. They will likely make you too drowsy to drive
safely, but otherwise antihistamines are effective and safe and stop the
itching.

--Lia
Old 23-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Salty Thumb

"Jacqueline Davidson" wrote in news:HwgTa.8131
$If5.7882@lakeread06:

What works best for these bites? I use diphenhydramine cream, cortisone
cream, nothing works.
Jackie

Seems like all the advice (except for salt) involve covering the wound site
with something that removes heat.

My 2 cents: aloe vera gel

Old 23-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Jacqueline Davidson

Thanks everyone!!
I cannot go outside without getting at least one bite. I will try all the
methods you have suggested until I find the one that works for me.
My sincere thanks,
Jackie

Old 26-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Salty Thumb

Thanks everyone!!
I cannot go outside without getting at least one bite. I will try all
the methods you have suggested until I find the one that works for me.
My sincere thanks,
Jackie

Here's more stuff to try.

The Medicinal HerbFAQ
3.1 Herbs for mosquitoes and other bothersome bugs and
3.1.2 And now you're bitten...

http://ibiblio.org/herbmed/faqs/medi...osquitoes.html

Enjoy,

-- Salty