Old 23-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Chelsea Christenson

Default Vinegar for killing weeds -- follow up

In addition to posting here, I asked around and some friends have used
vinegar for weeds. So I figured, it's cheap, I'll give it a try. I
purchased jugs of vinegar from the grocery store (diluted to 5% acidity,
according to the label) and a new watering can (for better control). I
"watered" the weeds with the vinegar on the west-facing brick
sidewalk and gravel parking strip. Both get full sun, especially in the
afternoon. The weeds turned yellow within a few hours.

My friends had always used cider vinegar, so I started with that.
Afterwards, I tried a jug of plain vinegar, which is cheaper, and that
worked just as well.

In addition to killing the weeds, I'm enjoying the novelty of it all.

Old 23-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Magen

Does it kill the grass.
I my area we cannot use any herbicides so I am wondering if I can use this
as an over all spray on grass area to kill only the weeds.

Old 23-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Salty Thumb

"Magen" wrote in
:

Does it kill the grass.
I my area we cannot use any herbicides so I am wondering if I can use
this as an over all spray on grass area to kill only the weeds.

it will turn grass brown ... well grass in a driveway crack anyway.
Old 23-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Julia Altshuler

My experience with vinegar as a weed killer is that it turns the plant brown,
weakens it a bit, but doesn't really kill it. It invariably bounces back to
life. Putting vinegar on is equivalent to pulling the plant out but not doing a
good job of getting the root. I've had better luck with boiling water if I can
put enough on so the water is still hot when it trickles down to the root. If I
can't boil the root, it is the same old story-- dead leaves + healthy root =
weed that comes back.

--Lia

Old 23-07-2003, 08:02 PM
NewsUser

I tried vinegar a while back and it killed the weeds DEAD! Nasty stuff with
big tap roots. Other than the smell, I like using this alternative to
expensive chemicals.

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
My experience with vinegar as a weed killer is that it turns the plant

brown,
weakens it a bit, but doesn't really kill it. It invariably bounces back

life. Putting vinegar on is equivalent to pulling the plant out but not

doing a
good job of getting the root. I've had better luck with boiling water if

I can
put enough on so the water is still hot when it trickles down to the root.

If I
can't boil the root, it is the same old story-- dead leaves + healthy root

=
weed that comes back.

Old 24-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Chelsea Christenson

Julia Altshuler wrote:
My experience with vinegar as a weed killer is that it turns the plant brown,
weakens it a bit, but doesn't really kill it.

It's been over a week since I used the vinegar, and I'm not seeing any
new growth, not even from the crabgrass. My impression from talking
with my master gardener (who's back from vacation now) is that the heat
from the full sun exposure (not to mention the radiant heat from the
bricks in the walk) is an important element, and that vinegar isn't
nearly as effective in shadier areas.