GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ever heard of Paulownia trees? Catalpas better! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/380-re-ever-heard-paulownia-trees-catalpas-better.html)

Cereoid+10 03-02-2003 11:17 AM

Ever heard of Paulownia trees? Catalpas better!

Catalpas have pretty much the same appearence and are far superior to
Paulownia as ornamental flowering trees. Growing Catalpas should be
encouraged.

Catalpas are native trees that deserve to more widely grown because much of
their former habitat is being destroyed due to development.

Pat Brothers wrote in message
Most folks side with Cereoid+10 on this but I rather like the thing. I
cut it back to ground every year and it will put up new shoots which
will reach 15 feet or more in a season. The first season leaves are at
least a foot across and very furry. No flowers with this treatment.
But then I like catalpas too.

Cereoid+10 wrote:

Don't even think about it.

Its one of the nastiest of weed trees.

The showy flowers don't make up for its bad habits.

Harri85274 wrote in message

I read this ad where this tree grows so fast in one season. goes to

30,40

or

even 50 feet high, with gorgeous lavender blooms.

Pat Brothers

The Powell House
Wake Forest, NC
USDA Zone 7b