Old 06-03-2003, 07:40 AM
Joe Jamies

Default Questions regarding shredder/mulcher???

Hi there,

I am thinking about buying an shredder mulcher (possibly AL-KO silent
shredder SP-4000 or SP-5000). If anyone has an AL-KO silent shredder,
I would be glad to hear some comments on how it works.

I basically need a shredder to help with making compost and mulch. I
have many branches which I have stockpiled which I would like to shred
and add to my compost pile.

Is the shredder able to handle branches of European Ash tree? Most of
my branches are from this tree and are pretty hard. If the shredder
handles branches up to 4 cm thick does that mean that it can handle
ANY type of branch regardless of the type of wood?

What else can go into the shredder? Can leaves also be shredded? I
have access to large pieces of fir tree bark from a local sawmill,
which I collect, chop up and add to a pile (to create bark chips for
mulch). Will the shredder accept pieces of bark? The pieces I end up
with are about 10 cm in diameter, but I would like to shred them to
create a finer mulch. Does the 4 cm (for example) limit for branches
mean that anything going into the shredder cannot be wider than that?

Thanks
Joe
Old 07-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Zeuspaul

Joe Jamies wrote:

Hi there,

I am thinking about buying an shredder mulcher (possibly AL-KO silent
shredder SP-4000 or SP-5000). If anyone has an AL-KO silent shredder,
I would be glad to hear some comments on how it works.

I basically need a shredder to help with making compost and mulch. I
have many branches which I have stockpiled which I would like to shred
and add to my compost pile.

Is the shredder able to handle branches of European Ash tree? Most of
my branches are from this tree and are pretty hard. If the shredder
handles branches up to 4 cm thick does that mean that it can handle
ANY type of branch regardless of the type of wood?

NO! Up to 4 cm would refer to soft green wood. Figure 2 cm or less for
dry hardwood.

What else can go into the shredder? Can leaves also be shredded? I
have access to large pieces of fir tree bark from a local sawmill,
which I collect, chop up and add to a pile (to create bark chips for
mulch). Will the shredder accept pieces of bark? The pieces I end up
with are about 10 cm in diameter, but I would like to shred them to
create a finer mulch. Does the 4 cm (for example) limit for branches
mean that anything going into the shredder cannot be wider than that?

Thanks
Joe

Shredding is a LOT of work. If you have to get a shredder get one twice
as powerful as you think you need.

I can buy a yard of shredded wood for 12 bucks. It would take me all day
to shred that much with my shredder. That is why it sits there and is
rarely used.

If I had an unlimited supply of bark I would consider a shredder. Given
the right machine bark might work out well. However if I had a supply of
10 cm bark I would save the labor and use as is.

Zeuspaul