Old 24-07-2003, 05:22 PM
K. Wing Wong

Default Tree root under lawn....

Our property has a lawn which is bordering a wooded area. Somewhere
in the wooded area is a tree which has extended its roots under our
lawn (and our neighbours' lawns). This root system manifests itself
by poking tiny "branches" up the lawn with leaves that are plainly
visible. So when I see this I dig down with the shovel and pull up
as much of the root as I can. This of course, rips up the lawn which
makes it look ugly.

So what can be done about this?

Thanks for any help.

kwong (at) nbnet (dot) nb (dot) ca
Old 24-07-2003, 09:02 PM
JNJ

Our property has a lawn which is bordering a wooded area. Somewhere
in the wooded area is a tree which has extended its roots under our
lawn (and our neighbours' lawns). This root system manifests itself
by poking tiny "branches" up the lawn with leaves that are plainly
visible. So when I see this I dig down with the shovel and pull up
as much of the root as I can. This of course, rips up the lawn which
makes it look ugly.

So what can be done about this?

Are you certain this is a tree and not something else? From your
description it sounds very much like bamboo. Got a picture of the roots
and/or shoots?

James

Old 24-07-2003, 09:02 PM
K. Wing Wong

Thanks for respond. Yes I am sure it's not bamboo, which is not
common in frigid Canada. The leaves are kind of orange/red and
the roots could be as thick as 1" diameter. No I don't have pictures
but I will remember to take some before I pulled the little buggers
up next time.

Old 25-07-2003, 09:02 AM
gregpresley

There are a lot of trees that sucker from roots this way - aspens, locusts,
sumacs, etc. The reddish color makes me think sumacs. Most of these suckers
can just be dealt with by frequent mowing. They will come up every year
until the main tree dies, and then slowly become less numerous as the starch
in the root system is depleted.