GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   relocating to California (2/2) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/38191-re-relocating-california-2-2-a.html)

Hope Munro Smith 28-07-2003 10:02 PM

relocating to California (2/2)

(MLEBLANCA) wrote in
:

In article , Hope
Munro Smith writes:

Yes, I realize what you meant to say earlier! I'm still trying to
decide if I am going to bareroot them and have them go that way or
leave them in their pots (perhaps putting them in fresh Miracle Gro
potting soil).

You know, Hope, I wouldn't bare root at the time you leave, wait until
you are almost to Calif and do it then. Or even wait until you see
what the inspector
has to say and do it at the station, if there is a problem. It seems
to me that orchids, at least, would not have any disease of concern.
(Just like the inspector isn't concerned when you have bananas) Bring
a bag of sterile potting soil and repot them down the road. I don't
think the inspector is going to rip the plants from your trembling
hands!!LOL They have always been quite reasonable people if you are
honest with them. "quick and painless" ha ha OTOH it may be that you
will be lucky and the station will not even be open on the day you get
here......... Let us all know how it goes. When will you be moving?

LOL, maybe it won't be! We are leaving on Sunday the 10th, and we are
guessing we'll get there on the 12th or so.

dkat 29-07-2003 02:02 AM

relocating to California (2/2)

Orchids... Silly me... I thought we were talking common house plants (I
still have my evil pregnant onion plant I brought from CA to out east 20+
years ago - anyone want any babies?). I did not see the original post so my
2 cents aren't worth ... well 2 cents. Good luck transporting your
beauties. I know I did not have a problem bringing in orchids from Hawaii
to CA. (they don't really need potting soil though so I'm confused about
this as an issue). DK

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article , Hope Munro

Smith
writes:

[...]

Emilie
NorCal

Hope Munro Smith 29-07-2003 08:32 PM

relocating to California (2/2)

Well, I have both orchids and some common house plants. And lucky bamboo!

"dkat" wrote in
.net:

Orchids... Silly me... I thought we were talking common house plants
(I still have my evil pregnant onion plant I brought from CA to out
east 20+ years ago - anyone want any babies?). I did not see the
original post so my 2 cents aren't worth ... well 2 cents. Good luck
transporting your beauties. I know I did not have a problem bringing
in orchids from Hawaii to CA. (they don't really need potting soil
though so I'm confused about this as an issue). DK

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article , Hope
Munro

Smith

Garrapata 02-08-2003 05:22 PM

relocating to California (2/2)

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:43:41 GMT, "Philip" wrote:

The thing about Fresno is that you're an easy drive to Sacramento,
to San Francisco, to Tahoe and just about anywhere in the middle to northern
California area.

A friend's family lives in Fresno. He is near the coast and hosts a
"Beat the Heat Day" a couple of times every summer. ALL of the relatives
show up.

Austin doesn't have the Tule Fog all winter either. 20' visibility and
38 degrees

dkat 05-08-2003 04:12 AM

relocating to California (2/2)

Orchids... Silly me... I thought we were talking common house plants (I
still have my evil pregnant onion plant I brought from CA to out east 20+
years ago - anyone want any babies?). I did not see the original post so my
2 cents aren't worth ... well 2 cents. Good luck transporting your
beauties. I know I did not have a problem bringing in orchids from Hawaii
to CA. (they don't really need potting soil though so I'm confused about
this as an issue). DK

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
In article , Hope Munro

Smith