GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/38247-oak-wilt-burr-oaks-alamo-injection-urgent-help.html)

Lisa 25-07-2003 07:02 PM

Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help?

I have Oak Wilt. Had 3 tree companies out. Plan is to trench, remove
lost causes, and inject potential 'savables' with Alamo.
Only Red oaks have succumed. The Burr oaks seem fine.

I was told:

1. Reds & Burrs don't root graft between the species. The only way the
Burrs could get it is via beetles, etc.
2. 2 Companies say I don't have to inject the Burrs with Alamo. 1
Company wants to do it.
3. We are talking 3 Majestic-sized burrs & 1 smaller one. The cost is
astronomical.

We are more than willing to sink alot of cash into saving our trees,
but we are by no means wealthy and injecting the burrs. Estimated cost
on the burrs alone is $1350.00. I just hate to toss away money
needlessly and I don't know what to do here & who to listen to.

Because of the severe nature of Oak Wilt, I don't have much time to
gather more estimates, opinions. I've tried searching the net & can't
find specific advice on if I should inject the burrs or not. I'm going
to call the Morton Arboretum Plant Clinic when they open for advice &
also have an email to the U of I Plant Clinic.

If there are any knowledgeable tree people with Oak Wilt. I'd
appreciate your advice on this matter. I have to make a quick decision
here.

I posted this also on "forestry". Can anyone suggest a more
appropriate Google group to post this to? Thank you! I'm freeking
out.

dicko 25-07-2003 08:42 PM

Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help?

I dont have any advice, but where do you live?

I assume its somewhere in Illinois if you're contacting the UofI. I
didnt think Oak wilt was a big problem outside of California.

I just had a huge Oak die a few years ago. I went and counted tree
rings on the stump and it was over 175 years old. At the time I
thought it was oak wilt but it took several years to die. at the time
I thought it just died of old age.

Come to think of it I see a lot of oak trees dead and dying in
woodstock area...

So we have oak wilt, gypsy moths, asian longhorn beetles, ash borers,
dutch elm disease, etc.. its a wonder that we have any forests left...

dickm

David J Bockman 26-07-2003 03:42 AM

Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help?

Are you referring to Sudden Oak Death? If so, I wasn't aware that is has
affected any trees outside of California and (possibly) Oregon.

http://www.suddenoakdeath.org

Dave

om...

J. Lane 26-07-2003 09:22 AM

Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help?

Hi David,
Definitely talk to the U of I people and do you have a national agricultural
office you can call? Or a state one?
we do in Canada, and all serious problems are handled by them. Sudden
Oak Death and other serious diseases are dealt with( listed and advised
upon) through them.
J.Lane
"David J Bockman" wrote in message
Are you referring to Sudden Oak Death? If so, I wasn't aware that is has
affected any trees outside of California and (possibly) Oregon.

http://www.suddenoakdeath.org

Dave

om...

MLEBLANCA 26-07-2003 07:32 PM

Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help?

In article , "David J Bockman"
writes:

Are you referring to Sudden Oak Death? If so, I wasn't aware that is has
affected any trees outside of California and (possibly) Oregon.

http://www.suddenoakdeath.org

Dave

Dave (and others)
I think that there are different diseases being confused here.

Sudden Oak Death is Phytophthora ramorum ( infecting tan oaks and black oaks in
coastal Calif.)
Oak Root Fungus is Armillaria mellea
Oak Wilt is Ceratocystis fagacearum (mainly in the Middle west)

Emilie
NorCal

Babberney 29-07-2003 07:02 AM

Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help?

On 25 Jul 2003 09:50:08 -0700, (Lisa) wrote:

I have Oak Wilt. Had 3 tree companies out. Plan is to trench, remove
lost causes, and inject potential 'savables' with Alamo.
Only Red oaks have succumed. The Burr oaks seem fine.

I was told:

1. Reds & Burrs don't root graft between the species. The only way the
Burrs could get it is via beetles, etc.

true.

2. 2 Companies say I don't have to inject the Burrs with Alamo.

true

1 Company wants to do it.

go with one of the others

3. We are talking 3 Majestic-sized burrs & 1 smaller one. The cost is
astronomical.

I'm sure.

The Bur oaks are not likely to get oak wilt under any circumstances.
The fact that nearby red oaks had the disease won't matter provided
you remove the dead trees before fungal mats can form on them. Even
if a fungal mat does form, the only way the bur oaks could contract
the disease is if an insect walked in the fungus and carried spores to
a fresh wound on the bur oaks.

Remove the dead trees, inject any remaining red oaks within 150 feet
of the dead ones, and paint any future wounds on any of your oaks to
discourage insects from dropping by.

Here's a site that may be helpful for clearing up questions:
http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/oakwilt.html

Good luck,

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html

Lisa 06-08-2003 09:32 PM

Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help?

Thanks Keith. I have an acre. They counted 21 Reds that are still
alive. One is showing symptoms. Cost to Alamo all 21 is $4,153.50.
This is at $13 per inch. One is ridiculously far away from anything &
he gave me the option on that one (a $221 savings). :( Then he
tells me this should be done every 2 years. $4k every 2 years? Huh!?
Don't know about that part. Either way, this is beyond depressing.
I'll hold off on treating the Burrs and will watch them closely. This
Alamo stuff better "do" something for me or I'll be mighty PO'd.

Babberney 09-08-2003 08:02 PM

On 6 Aug 2003 12:27:21 -0700, (Lisa) wrote:

Thanks Keith. I have an acre. They counted 21 Reds that are still
alive. One is showing symptoms. Cost to Alamo all 21 is $4,153.50.
This is at $13 per inch. One is ridiculously far away from anything &
he gave me the option on that one (a $221 savings). :( Then he
tells me this should be done every 2 years. $4k every 2 years? Huh!?
Don't know about that part. Either way, this is beyond depressing.
I'll hold off on treating the Burrs and will watch them closely. This
Alamo stuff better "do" something for me or I'll be mighty PO'd.

I hate to soundlike a doomsayer, but whoever is treating these trees
should have made it plain there are no guarantees. Once a red oak
show symptoms, it's unlikely to survive. Live oaks are more likely to
benefit from treatment after the signs have appeared.

Trearting the adjacent trees is more likely to make a difference. If
trees have been infected but haven't shown symptoms, you may avert
disaster by treatment (but still no guarantee). For trees that are
nearby but not infected, injections are preventative and, in that
capacity, temporary. Retreatment is probably a good idea, but you
might could get away with treating the trees that were closest to the
worst case. This is assuming you remove any trees and branches that
may die in a timely fashion. Once they're gone, the roots will harbor
the pathogen for awhile, and that's why you should treat the adjacent
trees (the disease spreads by root graft, if I haven't mentioned
that). But how long it will be a threat there is debateable, AFAIK.
I welcome any evidence to the contrary.

If you haven't looked at a third-party description of the problem, go
to the Texas A&M link:
http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/oakwilt.html

You may also be able to find a similar link at a university or
extension office web site closer to you geographically.

Good luck,

Keith