Old 06-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Px656

Default Northern Bayberry

Can anyone tell me where I can buy FEMALE Northern Bayberry? I have bought at
least 30 plants with no luck. All have apparently been male. I am told they
are available (the sexed plants) but where?

Thank you
Old 06-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Cannot tell you where ......but......have been told that when in the
flowering stage they can be told apart......so.....if you have a local
nursery selling them wait until flowering time and check them out.....HW.

Old 08-03-2003, 01:56 AM
lyn

Sylvan Nursery in Westport, MA, also a website
http://www.sylvannursery.com/
Bayberry is also very easy to start from seeds. in the late fall, gather
bayberries, and rub the 'wax' off the outside of the seed. I used a
screen strainer, rubbing them all by hand, in several batches. Then sow
in very sandy soil, in pots, and sink the pots in the ground to go
through winter. Mulch them well, and in the spring, they'll sprout. When
I started them from seed I got about half and half male and female.
Lyn

Px656 wrote:

Can anyone tell me where I can buy FEMALE Northern Bayberry? I have bought at
least 30 plants with no luck. All have apparently been male. I am told they
are available (the sexed plants) but where?

Thank you

[IMG] code is On

bayberry Gordie Garden Photos 1 24-10-2007 07:21 PM
Myrtis pensylvanica (bayberry) Edible Gardening 0 26-04-2004 07:03 PM
Bayberry pixi Gardening 0 04-10-2003 06:02 PM
Bayberry pixi Gardening 0 03-10-2003 11:32 AM
Tips from Northern bamboo gardeners myk Bamboo 0 28-03-2003 12:08 AM