Old 27-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Mauzie

Default rhubarb...the search of the plant of rhubarb...where do I begin??

I would like to plant rhubar on my property. When do I do so. the
Spring..Summer?? How do I but it ?? My gardners did not know where?/ Advise!!
Old 27-07-2003, 08:32 AM
J. Lane

Hey Mauzie,
Sure yuo want to plant the stuff? Once it's in it's really hard to get rid
of.
Suggest you scout out your neighbours to see if they have some and ask for a
small root division. All you need is about 4" square of roots and plant it
in the spring .
--
Jayel.

Old 29-07-2003, 05:12 AM
Alexander Pensky

Jan Flora wrote:
In article , "Travis"
wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
(Mauzie) wrote:

I would like to plant rhubar on my property. When do I do so.
the Spring..Summer?? How do I but it ?? My gardners did not
know where?/ Advise!!

You have to live where the ground freezes solid in the winter
for rhubarb to grow well.

Not true.

Oh, good! I keep hearing stories of folks down south having trouble
growing it.

Jan

I believe rhubarb just needs enough constantly cold weather to make it
go dormant in the winter. That's a long way from the ground "freezing
solid." In a mild winter the ground may never freeze solid even though
the temps. are down around 20 F.

- Alex

Old 04-08-2003, 04:07 AM
Lynda

Mauzie wrote:

I would like to plant rhubar on my property. When do I do so. the
Spring..Summer?? How do I but it ?? My gardners did not know where?/ Advise!!

everyone i know has gotten it from a friend or neighbor; ask around.

when you find some, just stick a spade in to divide out a clump and
plant it. (with or without leaf, in spring, summer, or early fall)
water it a lot after you plant it for about 2 weeks and then just
leave it alone.

make sure that the stalks of the parent plant are red; and that you're
not planting burdock (wild rhubarb) which can look similar.

cheers,
Lynda
Old 05-08-2003, 05:13 AM
Alexander Pensky