Old 30-07-2003, 10:03 PM
FireDragon

Default Sad Mini Roses

I was rather silly and bought a small pot of mini roses from my
neighbourhood No Frills Store. They are in really sad shape. No spots, no
insects that I can see, but the leaves are drying up and dropping every time
I turn around. Both the dried up ones, and seemingly healthy ones are
falling. What could be causing this? I've replanted into a larger pot as
they were terribly root bound. Will this help? Or should I be giving up on
these poor little things? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kat.

Old 30-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Plant them out in the garden. They do much better in the ground. They are
much more cold hardy than you think. This time of the year they slow down
anyway.

.. .

Old 30-07-2003, 10:12 PM
FireDragon

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
m...
Plant them out in the garden. They do much better in the ground. They are
much more cold hardy than you think. This time of the year they slow down
anyway.

Unfortunately, that's not an option for me. I have only a postage stamp
back yard and a frisky plant eating, hole digging, garden destroying
rotti-sheppard. I won't even get into tales of thieving neighbours. My
garden has to be strictly indoors..

Old 30-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Charles

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:02:14 -0400, "FireDragon"
wrote:

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
om...
Plant them out in the garden. They do much better in the ground. They are
much more cold hardy than you think. This time of the year they slow down
anyway.

Unfortunately, that's not an option for me. I have only a postage stamp
back yard and a frisky plant eating, hole digging, garden destroying
rotti-sheppard. I won't even get into tales of thieving neighbours. My
garden has to be strictly indoors..

Were they grown in peat? that stuff is good for growers, but can be
death to plants. Wash it off, pot in real potting soil, assume that
you are rerooting the plants, the old roots may well have died.

--

- Charles
-

Old 31-07-2003, 02:42 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:02:14
-0400, "FireDragon" did speak the
following bit of wisdom:

My garden has to be strictly indoors..

I've never tried it myself, but I've heard that miniature roses can be
kept in hanging containers. That might be a solution to keeping them
away from your dog and neighbors. ???

In any case, minis can certainly be kept in pots almost indefinitely.
If I were you, I'd find a couple of nice, fairly roomy containers --
either hanging ones or to regular pots to stand on your porch or deck
where you can enjoy them -- and repot these roses. Give them good
quality potting mix to grow in and like the other poster suggested,
try to get as much of that crappy peat stuff off the roots without
unduly damaging them. Treat these plants like new cuttings and baby
them a little. Gradually move them into full sun and keep them always
well watered (but don't allow them to sit in water -- roses HATE
that). A little bone meal worked into the potting soil could be
helpful as might the application of some epsom salts. Also try posting
your question to the folks at rec.gardens.roses

Hope this helps! Best wishes...

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"
Old 31-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Callen Molenda

It won't necessarily die. If you have a sunny window you can keep it in
during the winter, and keep it outside as much as possible in the
summer, it should be fine. Of course, in the ground is better but you
can make do with what you have.

I had one in an apartment for years - I still have it (though it's now
in the ground.

Callen

Old 01-08-2003, 03:49 AM
Salty Thumb

Callen Molenda wrote in
:

It won't necessarily die. If you have a sunny window you can keep it
in during the winter, and keep it outside as much as possible in the
summer, it should be fine. Of course, in the ground is better but you
can make do with what you have.

I had one in an apartment for years - I still have it (though it's now
in the ground.

hehe, that means you planted it and not buried it, huh?

[IMG] code is On

In praise of supermarket mini roses. Karen Roses 11 27-07-2004 04:05 PM
In praise of supermarket mini roses. Karen Gardening 9 27-07-2004 04:05 PM
Cheapie mini roses Jane Roses 5 19-05-2003 03:20 PM
Mini roses from NC nursery laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 3 01-05-2003 06:20 PM
Alyssum was Mini roses from NC nursery Susan H. Simko North Carolina 2 01-05-2003 06:08 PM