Old 01-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Will Renkel

Default PREEN - does it work?

Does PREEN really work?
What about PREEN with fertilizer?

I see Miracle Crow now has same products.
Is this a clue to say it DOES work?

Would like opinions before I jump in.

Will Renkel
Wheaton, Ill.

GO - AMERICA - GO!!!!

Old 01-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Pam

Preen works exactly as it is intended to - it is a premergent herbicide
that will prevent seeds (any, not just weeds) from fully germinating. It
has no effect on existing weeds, which must be removed prior to
application. The effects can last upto 4-6 months. I would avoid combo
products - they tend to be counterproductive and often the timing is off
for one of the applications.

pam - gardengal

Old 02-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Bill R

Will Renkel wrote:
Does PREEN really work?
What about PREEN with fertilizer?

I see Miracle Grow now has same products.
Is this a clue to say it DOES work?

Would like opinions before I jump in.

PREEN and all the other "weed preventers" can kill some
types of plants. Swan Island Dahlias warns Dahlia growers
NEVER to use any type of herbicides around Dahlias.

You should ALWAYS read the label before applying anything
around your plants.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 02-08-2003, 03:22 PM

I used PREEN&GREEN this year for the first time and I have to say I really
love this stuff. I applied it after I mulched then watered it in twice.
Once one day then a little more the next. Re-applied after one month right
before a rain. I cannot speak about the effect of the slow release
fertilizer but I can say I have darn near zero weeds and my flowers are
doing quite well. The annuals I used it on are in the same beds as
perrenial flowers and shrubs like lilies, asytum (sp), Azelia, Holley, and
Stella-Dorra Lily. Make sure you weed very well and chop up the soil before
you apply.

Next year I think I'll try just the straight PREEN and see if there is a
differance. I'll either fertilize with a watering can or buy a seperate
slow release fertilizer.

Best of Luck!
sparkie
Zone 6

Old 02-08-2003, 06:12 PM

it works great on grass, but really only in the spring when the weed seeds are
germinating. I sure wouldnt use it anywhere you want flower seeds to germinate...
many of mine come back every year from seeds. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 03-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Alan Sung

"Pam" wrote in message
Preen works exactly as it is intended to - it is a premergent herbicide
that will prevent seeds (any, not just weeds) from fully germinating. It
has no effect on existing weeds, which must be removed prior to
application. The effects can last upto 4-6 months. I would avoid combo
products - they tend to be counterproductive and often the timing is off
for one of the applications.

pam - gardengal

Wouldn't plain old crabgrass preventer have the same effect? And a bag of
this is a lot cheaper than a box of Preen.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)

Old 03-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Pam

Alan Sung wrote:

"Pam" wrote in message
Preen works exactly as it is intended to - it is a premergent herbicide
that will prevent seeds (any, not just weeds) from fully germinating. It
has no effect on existing weeds, which must be removed prior to
application. The effects can last upto 4-6 months. I would avoid combo
products - they tend to be counterproductive and often the timing is off
for one of the applications.

pam - gardengal

Wouldn't plain old crabgrass preventer have the same effect? And a bag of
this is a lot cheaper than a box of Preen.

Will only have the same effect on crabgrass (it is target-specific), but will
have virtually no effect on broadleaf weeds.

pam - gardengal

[IMG] code is On

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
too early for Preen? Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 10-02-2004 03:23 PM
PREEN - does it work. Will Renkel Gardening 0 03-08-2003 01:02 AM
Preen In Corn? chaz Gardening 22 20-04-2003 04:32 PM
Preen on strawberries Tim B Edible Gardening 0 05-04-2003 09:08 PM