Old 05-08-2003, 04:17 AM
pelirojaroja

Default Tuberous Begonia Blues . . .

I'm in a sad state with my tuberous begonia plants. I have 10 or so (2 very
large ones) in containers on the shady front porch (Cleveland OH Zone 6). I
bought them all from local nurseries in spring, and all have been doing
wonderfully until about 3-4 weeks ago. First one plant, then all the
others, have gradually developed first brown (prematurely brown) flowers and
then white filigreed spots on leaves. The flowers aren't just spent -- they
are attached quite firmly but are dead-brown and papery.

Are the plants goners? My research on the web shows a powdery mildew fungus
the likely cause, although they are on a protected porch, and I never water
the leaves and am careful not to over-water.

On advice from the local nursery, I've sprayed all plants with a
Daconil-type fungicide, but the result was awful. The plants now look even
worse -- white residue coating all the leaves, and the fungicide has killed
all the remaining flowers it touched.

Do I keep up with the weekly application of fungicide and put up with the
unsightly residue/no flowers? What's the point of that, I wonder? However,
I have so much $$ invested in these beautiful plants that I hate to give
them up to the fungus. Any advice appreciated!

--
-- pelirojaroja
"There is a garden in every childhood,

-- Elizabeth Lawrence

[IMG] code is On

Tuberous begonia tathraman Australia 0 14-11-2010 12:09 AM
Tuberous begonia problems? belto United Kingdom 0 07-08-2006 09:18 PM
Begonia grandis - evensiana - Hardy Begonia HeatherScot United Kingdom 1 05-06-2005 10:49 PM
Another Tuberous Begonia Q Sue Gardening 0 01-12-2003 05:02 PM
Tuberous Begonia Advice Fleemo Gardening 8 01-11-2003 09:32 PM