GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tomatoes splitting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/39535-tomatoes-splitting.html)

Steve & Erin 06-08-2003 03:22 AM

tomatoes splitting

We have some lovely grape and pear tomatoes on our deck that seemed perfect
until tonight I went out to pick them and they all have splits on them. Did
I leave them on the vine too long? Any other culture advice?

Thanks
Erin

Frankhartx 06-08-2003 04:02 AM

tomatoes splitting

From: "Steve & Erin"

We have some lovely grape and pear tomatoes on our deck that seemed perfect
until tonight I went out to pick them and they all have splits on them. Did
I leave them on the vine too long? Any other culture advice?

Too much water over a short period of time may lead to splitting-not hanging on
the vine al;though those that are there when the event occurs will be affected.

Bill R 06-08-2003 06:14 AM

tomatoes splitting

Steve & Erin wrote:
We have some lovely grape and pear tomatoes on our deck that seemed perfect
until tonight I went out to pick them and they all have splits on them. Did
I leave them on the vine too long? Any other culture advice?

Thanks
Erin

Erin,

I grow both the grape and pear tomatoes and have noticed
quite a bit of splitting (and cracks) this summer. Around
here the weather has been very "uneven" (hot, then extremely
rainy for a few days, then hot again). That is what usually
causes the splitting problems. You can pick them early but
I think the flavor is better if you leave them on the vine
until they are ripe enough to eat (especially with the red
and yellow pear tomatoes).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Peppergirl 06-08-2003 01:02 PM

tomatoes splitting

Hi Erin!
I believe the weather can play a big factor in the splitting, if you have
had too much rain. Also if you over water them, this too, can result with
them splitting. What i do now is i pick them just before they ripen, but
newspaper into a cupboard or dresser drawer, and i leave them a couple of
days, closed, still checking on them. They do ripen, and the flavour stays
in! Hope this helps??? Good-luck!!!!

Peppergirl.

Please feel free to check my website out. Click on below.

http://hotcuisine.esmartweb.com/