Old 07-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Chicory isn't always blue

Chicory flowers come in other colors too. I know of populations growing
along roadsides with mauve pink and white flowers too. I looked at the
plants in full bloom just a few days ago. One is tempted to grow them but
because of the plant's weedy nature, I resist the temptation. When I get a
digital camera I will take pictures of them instead.

madgardener wrote in message
it can be controlled. Did you see the garden that Erica Glasner featured

one
time that the lady planted chicory seed in her rich soil and the plant was
awesome? She just pulled out the babies the next year and kept one patch.
Can't beat that intense sky blue! g madgardener
"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
Chicory is a very common and invasive weed.

Its best you don't even think about growing it in your garden.

long as she has hands to pull out the babies she'll be fine. I have purple
loosestrife in my own garden and it's not eating the land around me....:P

Old 07-08-2003, 05:02 PM
simy1

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message m...
Chicory flowers come in other colors too. I know of populations growing
along roadsides with mauve pink and white flowers too. I looked at the
plants in full bloom just a few days ago. One is tempted to grow them but
because of the plant's weedy nature, I resist the temptation. When I get a
digital camera I will take pictures of them instead.

madgardener wrote in message
it can be controlled. Did you see the garden that Erica Glasner featured

one
time that the lady planted chicory seed in her rich soil and the plant was
awesome? She just pulled out the babies the next year and kept one patch.
Can't beat that intense sky blue! g madgardener
"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
Chicory is a very common and invasive weed.

Its best you don't even think about growing it in your garden.

from Territorial Seeds. Tremendously vigorous plants, with all the
leaf hues from lime to maroon, and they provided modest radicchio-like
heads in the fall (they needed to be cut a couple of times before they
headed). Radicchio is tamed chicory. They provided again some greens
(reds) in April, and I let them go to seed in the summer. I collected
the seeds (about two pounds), which then I used on a patch of clay
soil I had brought in to fill a hole in my backyard. They broke the
ground nicely (they have dandelion-like taproots), and now I toss some
seeds in out-of-the way parts of my backyard for some bitter greens
and also because my daughter guinea pigs will eat nothing else if they
can get chicory. Fun plant to grow, and free veggies for all at this
point.

long as she has hands to pull out the babies she'll be fine. I have purple
loosestrife in my own garden and it's not eating the land around me....:P

[IMG] code is On

Chicory Tony Gardening 3 18-06-2010 11:50 PM
Where has chicory gone? [email protected] Gardening 5 14-08-2007 06:15 PM
The machines continue to grind, the appearances of my beloved Blue Chicory, red median poppies, Harriet Nation Gardening 0 05-06-2004 11:08 PM
The machines continue to grind, the appearances of my beloved Blue Chicory, red median poppies, whit madgardener Gardening 0 01-06-2004 08:02 PM
You know what? Dogs pee there as well, that corner always stinks. Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 04:56 AM