Old 05-02-2003, 12:36 AM
Tom Engel

Default Crazy Bird Doing Harm to Door

Can anyone tell me how to stop a crazy red bird from hurting our front
door with his pecks and beating against the large picture windows? He is
pitting the new brass plate on the door and driving me crazy with his
pecking. Suggestions welcome? Linda

Old 05-02-2003, 01:18 AM
madgard

Lee Valley Tools - www.leevalley.com has a neat transparent vinyl window decal called the Warning Web that is printed with a spider web pattern that birds naturally recognize as a hazard and avoid. The web web features a concentrated white zigzag pattern known as a stabilimenta, which scientists believe spiders use to effectivly deters birds from flying through their webs. It works on static so you can put it either inside or out and it is about $3.95 plus shipping......... hope this helps the red bird will cease the door assault when he finds a mate and doesn't feel so threatened.
hope this helps!g
madgardener

Old 05-02-2003, 02:50 AM
jammer

On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 00:36:25 GMT, Tom Engel
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to stop a crazy red bird from hurting our front
door with his pecks and beating against the large picture windows? He is
pitting the new brass plate on the door and driving me crazy with his
pecking. Suggestions welcome? Linda

I like the previous poster's idea much better than mine. I had too
many unwanted grackles and bought a sports horn. They surrrre are
loud! Every time they would lite i would blast it just a little. It
took 3 days and i haven't seen them back. The doves, robins,
mockingbirds, sparrows, etc, all came back.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 05-02-2003, 04:33 AM
Dwayne

I hung an old CD that internet companies keep sending me, from the roof near the window. The wind blowing it around seemed to scare them away. It is a cheap way to solve the problem and worth a try. Good luck. Dwayne

Old 05-02-2003, 06:17 PM
LeeAnne

Hi there,

The bird sees its own reflection in the door and thinks that he's a competitor of himself for the same mates. They do it every year to windows, car mirrors, etc., -- if you there is a way for you to cover the reflective surface, even just for a week it should stop even tho it may not look all that great to look at your door covered w/wrapping paper or something . . .

I see this as a great sign that SPRING IS COMING - screw that woodchuck and his shadow!!!!!

Good luck

Old 07-02-2003, 03:56 PM
LeeAnne

I guess I have to take that back . . . it's snowing like a b*st*rd today here, Boston area

Old 07-02-2003, 10:15 PM
paghat

In article , "loonyhiker"
wrote:

When we were in FL, we saw a lot of CD's hanging on the boats to keep
the birds away.

With scores of wild parakeets hanging from them chattering at their reflections.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 08-02-2003, 10:48 PM
Ann

"LeeAnne" expounded:

I guess I have to take that back . . . it's snowing like a b*st*rd today here, Boston area

It certainly was, wasn't it? 16" here, but it's light and fluffy,
easy to shovel (or snowblow!). Cross country skiing
tomorrow.........yea!

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 09-02-2003, 08:01 AM
harrison

I shoveled. Then I shoveled some more. Then the plow plowed me in--again and
again. I said "This isn't the 3 inches we were supposed to get!" Any bird
here should just go south for the next three months. I should just go south
for the next three months. I WANT MY GARDEN BACK!!! It has disappeared
again. Ah well, my impatiens have sprouted and I got my seed packets from LE
JARDIN DU GOURMETS. Spring will come. It will come. Will it come???
Eugenia, zone 6, two towns west of Boston somewhere between Ann and LeeAnne.
"LeeAnne" expounded: