Old 08-08-2003, 07:03 PM

Default Plants for Northern Los Angeles

Hello everyone!

I moved into a condo last October, that has a fenced patio with some
planter beds. I merrily put in some plants, some of which have
thrived, and some of which.. well.. haven't. I have discovered that
the amount of light the garden gets, and _when_ it gets it, varies
immensly depending on the time of the year. I was hoping that some of
you nice folks could give me some advice about plants to replace the
dead ones.

First, a brief description of the area. South side of the patio is a
two-story house. West side has a tree (melalucca, I think... a very
lacy evergreen but not a pine-type) growing in the neighbor's side of
the fence. North side is a one-story garage. East side has two-story
Italian cypress growing on the far side of the fence. Light ranges
from nothing reaching the ground in winter to a patio full of sun from
mid-morning to evening in high summer, to now when the late-afternoon
to evening is starting to get shady again.

Starting on the south end of the west side, I planted:
Calla lily - struggling. It's not dead yet, but I think it isn't
getting the light it needs. This is the shadiest spot, with a very
small amount of filtered light in the morning that gets through the
cypresses and the fence.
Agapanthus - doing steady. I think they'd do better with a bit more
light, but they are nice green and holding steady, so they'll stay.
Camellia sasanqua setsugekka - thriving
Statice - thriving.
Lavatera - thriving. Growing like a weed, in fact!

On the north wall, I have two rose trees in pots flanking a granite
pillar fountain. Burned, not dead, but too fussy for me.

On the east side, starting at the north, I have:
Star jasmine, trellised - burned to a crisp
Statice - absolutely thriving.
Camellia sasanqua setsugekka - burned, not dead, but very loose in the
dirt as well. I'm not sure if I should keep this and hope it gets
better over the winter or not.
Prostrate rosemary - absolutely thriving
Bay laurel - thriving
Dwarf agapanthus - one burned to a crisp, and the others showing signs
of burning. They are on the very edge of the sun/shade line in the
evening.

I'd like to replace the calla, the rose trees, the jasmine, and dwarf
agapanthus. I'm not sure about the camellia in the sun, and am open
to opinions on that one.

Thanks for any advice!

Rebecca
PS. I'm in Valencia, for those familiar with the area.

[IMG] code is On

What Plants For A Hot Wall In Los Angeles? Yvonne Gardening 1 29-04-2005 05:53 PM
Los Angeles Gardeners veej Gardening 0 10-10-2003 08:42 PM
los angeles nurseries Allan Gardening 7 26-06-2003 10:44 PM
anyone know where to purchase java moss in Los Angeles area? TIA Richie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:09 AM
Tomatoes Zone 9 So. Cal, Los Angeles HPBudlong Edible Gardening 3 15-02-2003 03:03 PM