Old 09-08-2003, 05:02 AM
steve butcher

Default Repairing washed out hydroseed

I just had "Mother Nature" give me a lesson! Check the forecast before
hydroseeding. I laid 4"-5" of nice new loam over my 2000sf front yard,
planted many a bush, and hydroseeded the whole thing. The problem is this:
Although the lawn is coming in great, I have many "crevices", where the
rain not only washed the hydroseed away, but also all the loam beneath it.
Should I just start all over and sod the whole thing or would it be good
enough to fill all the crevices with new loam and seed those portions that
were washed out? I am concerned that when the lawn has fully grown, I might
be able to notice where I repaired the wash out. Money is not my concern as
I just want a full, thick, healthy lawn for next year. I live in
Massachusetts if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide me.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:42 PM
GaryM

"steve butcher" wrote in
:

I just had "Mother Nature" give me a lesson! Check the forecast
before hydroseeding. I laid 4"-5" of nice new loam over my 2000sf
front yard, planted many a bush, and hydroseeded the whole thing.

The same thing happened to me. A nor'easter blew through here (also
in MA) in late May, two days after the loam was fluffed and hydroseed
applied. I thought was a disaster (and it was becasue of the dirt
that washed away down the street that rightfully POed the neighbors),
but our lawn still came in great. We have washed out areas that
filled in, either with grass, or crabgrass (I don't care at this
stage so long as somthing binds the soil). We also had some deep
cuts, as you do, caused by downspouts that I will fill with screened
loam and reseed in another month approx.

When you loam & reseed consider salt hay, or some other method of
protecting reseeded areas. In addition, I purchased long sections of
spouting and left and right turn elbow joints ( $10). I drilled
lots of little holes in the spouting, which caused the water to
sprinkle out the holes, slowing it and causing no more erosion. I no
longer have to use those now now the grass is in. I think this is
worth considering, if pertinent you, while this weather pattern
persists -- you never know when a deluge is going to come.

As for noticing the difference, I highly doubt it. The other grass
has got a head start on the new areas, but if we get a helpful fall,
it too should start to spread to the reseeded areas making an
unnoticable blend. Certainly by next spring worst case. BTW, I tried
my best, but could never find the blend used in my hydroseed. In the
end I just id'ed the grasses that came up and will plant the seed
that will do best in the eroded part.

I am on my first year with a lawn and am book educated along with 1
1/2 semesters in "School of Hard Knocks" , nevertheless, I hope that
helps.

Gary
MA (Zone 5)
Old 10-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Chris Owens

An even better suggestion than checking the forecast is providing
some sort of interim erosion control. Howsomever, you should be
able to fill in and reseed just fine. For a really even
coverage, overfill the crevices onto the grass beside them, and
tamp or roll the area to an even layer before seeding.

Chris Owens