GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wild Rose? Berries?? = Flowering Raspberry (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/39953-re-wild-rose-berries-%3D-flowering-raspberry.html)

Cereoid-UR12- 09-08-2003 10:12 PM

Wild Rose? Berries?? = Flowering Raspberry

Roses produce pomes like apples but smaller not berries.

Your plant has aggregate drupelets, a cluster of many one seeded berries
like a Raspberry.

In fact, your plant is the "Flowering Raspberry", Rubus odoratus. It is
unusual in the genus not only by having large showy pink flowers and palmate
leaves that are not divided into leaflets but it also lacks any of the
thorns that are typical for most raspberries!!! It is a very good ornamental
shrub.

MissGinger wrote in message
.. .
Hi

I have no clue what this plant is, here is a pic of the flower, a berry it
produces once the flower dies, and a leaf. Ideas?

http://zed.cbc.ca/displayContent.do?...ILTER_KEY=3025

Thanks!

PS: It's in my backyard, in Montreal, Canada

MissGinger 09-08-2003 10:42 PM

Wild Rose? Berries?? = Flowering Raspberry

Thank you!!

Can the berries be eaten?

. ..

David Hill 09-08-2003 11:32 PM

Wild Rose? Berries?? = Flowering Raspberry

"........ In fact, your plant is the "Flowering Raspberry", Rubus odoratus.
It is unusual in the genus not only by having large showy pink flowers and
palmate
leaves that are not divided into leaflets but it also lacks any of the
thorns that are typical for most raspberries!!
It is a very good ornamental shrub ......."

I go along with most of that but be warned it will spread like any Raspberry
by underground suckers.
Mine come up anything up to 5 ft from the main clump.

Also are American Raspberries different from those we grow in the UK?
I have 5 varieties and None have thorns.
The Logan berries, the Tay berries and the Blackberries(Sorry
forget........being politically correct they are now.. "Bramble fruit") are
all well spined, but I don't remember ever finding a spine/thorn on any
raspberry cane, and I always work without gloves.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Cereoid-UR12- 10-08-2003 01:22 PM

Wild Rose? Berries?? = Flowering Raspberry

If you are asking if they are poisonous. No they are not.

If you are asking if they taste good. Try one yourself. They are not very
good for eating.