Old 05-02-2003, 04:43 AM
sam

Default PNW help - Fuchsia procumbens and Jasminum nudiflorum

I have some cutting back/trimming questions...

First, Fuchsia procumbens - It's long and wiry and I planned to cut it
all the way back before the new growth started this spring, but
suddenly it's bursting new leaves all along its wiry stems. Should I
cut it back now or just let it go and do what it wants to do?

And, Jasminum nudiflorum (winter jasmine) - I thought I was supposed
to cut the oldest canes to the ground after flowering and before the
leaves open. Hmm... It's still flowering, although almost finished,
but the leaves are opening all over, too. Is it okay to cut it back
now, this early?

Any wise advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
sam
PNW z/8
Old 05-02-2003, 06:31 AM
Pam

I'd wait on the fuchsia and forget pruning the jasmine. Even though we
haven't had any winter to speak of, February and March can offer some
pretty severe weather in this area and you could still get tip dieback of
the fuchsia. Hold off until the end of this month. Winter jasmine is a
lump - sorry, shrub - that is best left unpruned to develop a natural
arching/sprawling form. I guess you could remove the older stems if space
is an issue.............I'm not sure it would improve on the form any,
though, and they will continue to produce blooms regardless of age.

pam - gardengal

Old 05-02-2003, 07:04 AM
Valkyrie

"Pam" wrote in message
I'd wait on the fuchsia and forget pruning the jasmine. Even though we
haven't had any winter to speak of, February and March can offer some
pretty severe weather in this area and you could still get tip dieback of
the fuchsia. Hold off until the end of this month. Winter jasmine is a
lump - sorry, shrub - that is best left unpruned to develop a natural
arching/sprawling form. I guess you could remove the older stems if space
is an issue.............I'm not sure it would improve on the form any,
though, and they will continue to produce blooms regardless of age.

pam - gardengal

The hardy fuchsia I have is already loaded with buds, and my winter jasmine
is leafing out and still has lots of yellow blossoms, the hummingbirds love
it. When I was out puttering today and filling bird feeders I noticed that
one of my clematis ( still lots of dead brown leaves clinging to it) is
starting to shoot out new leaf clusters. My scented geraniums have been
blooming sporadically all winter. My lace leaf maple is starting to show
buds too. I hope we don't have a killer freeze hit when all this tender
stuff is starting to appear.

Val

Old 05-02-2003, 07:29 PM
sam

Pam wrote in message ...
I'd wait on the fuchsia and forget pruning the jasmine. Even though we
haven't had any winter to speak of, February and March can offer some
pretty severe weather in this area and you could still get tip dieback of
the fuchsia. Hold off until the end of this month. Winter jasmine is a
lump - sorry, shrub - that is best left unpruned to develop a natural
arching/sprawling form. I guess you could remove the older stems if space
is an issue.............I'm not sure it would improve on the form any,
though, and they will continue to produce blooms regardless of age.

Hmm.. So winter jasmine is one of your favorites, eh? Heh heh... Mine
is in a large planter box on a high stair landing where it's held
vertical for about 3 feet and then it cascades over a handrail and
winds horizontally through railing supports, very open and not at all
lumpen. Although I've seen plenty of lumps on the ground, so I know
what you mean. It's not a space issue, I just want to keep it open.
I'll trim it for visual effect, then, if removing older stems is not
important to blooming.

Thanks for your help.

sam
PNW z/8