Old 10-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Bunny McElwee

Default Corn Plant - House Plant Type - Propagation

I have what I only know as a Corn Plant in my home. I am assuming it is
a tropical houseplant. It has done very well since I received it 6 years
ago. My question is, I would like to propagate this plant and make another
one. I have several stalks coming from the main "trunk" of the plant,
including two which are right beside one another. I've had trouble finding
information on how to propagate this plant. If anyone has any helpful hints,
please let me know. Here are pics of the plant, where you can see the two
growing very near each other, I was considering cutting off the trunk and
planting, but don't know if this is the proper way to propagate.

http://members.cchat.com/mcelwee/garden/cornplant1.jpg
http://members.cchat.com/mcelwee/garden/cornplant2.jpg

Any help would be appreciated! I love this plant and it was given to me
by my husband for an Anniversary, so I would love to be able to make two of
a plant that I hold dear!

--
Bunny McElwee
President

'91 Mariner Blue - BlueFlash (we call her Blue for short)
License Plate - IXCLR8
Jackson Racing Cold Air Induction, Chrome Interior Accents, Racing Beat
Chrome Double Hoop Style Bar, FM Sway Bars, Heim End Links,
Koni Adjustable Shocks (lowest perch), JR Sport Exhaust, JR Cat,
Moss Headers, JVC MP3 Player, Bazooka Powered
Subwoofer with internal 4 Channel Amp, silly grin (driver and car!) and too
much more to list.

Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
Travis

Bunny McElwee wrote:
I have what I only know as a Corn Plant in my home. I am
assuming it is a tropical houseplant. It has done very well
since I received it 6 years ago. My question is, I would like
to propagate this plant and make another one.

I have had success with "air layering" and just putting sections of the
stock in moist sand.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 11-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Bunny McElwee

Would you cut one of the two joints off at the trunk and plant in moist
sand? I'm figuring the worst that will happen is I trim down the "mother"
plant, and possibly nothing happens with the one I cut off. What I don't
know is if I will harm the "mother" plant by doing this? I would be terribly
upset to lose this plant, so I just need to figure out the best way to go
about it. Thanks for your reply.

Old 11-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Not a "Corn Plant" at all.

Do a search for Dracaena fragrans, better known as "Dragon Tree".

Old 11-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Travis

Bunny McElwee wrote:
Would you cut one of the two joints off at the trunk and plant
in moist sand? I'm figuring the worst that will happen is I
trim down the "mother" plant, and possibly nothing happens with
the one I cut off. What I don't know is if I will harm the
"mother" plant by doing this? I would be terribly upset to lose
this plant, so I just need to figure out the best way to go
about it. Thanks for your reply.

You can cut off the main stalk leaving at least one node above soil
level and it will sprout at that node. Then cut up the stalk between
nodes and place them horizontal in moist sand buried half way and they
should sprout. I used a 9 X 13 glass cake pan and put plastic wrap over
it to conserve moisture.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5