Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
John DeBoo

Default Grass clippings

Just started a compost pile today with a bin I made of oak pallets.
Everyone was very helpful with my wood chip question (I'll add
some but sparingly) for composting. I also got 2 books from the
Library yesterday that will be my evening reading for the next few days.

New question grass clippings. I intend to use some in the
compost bin along with other garden greens & browns etc but as I was
adding them I got to thinking - why not add some directly to the
unused garden area now and mix them with the dirt so they
breakdown(?) and may be ready for next years crop of goodies? Soil
is sand & a lot of clay so it sticks in clumps as hard as concrete.

I also was thinking about adding them as cover to the in-use garden
area now to help hold in moisture (mostly sand). Then in fall I'll
turn the soil so they too are mixed in. Are either of these in
general no-no's? FWIW, I'm in Albuquerque (zone 7) almost no rain
and mid 90's so its hot and VERY dry. Regardless, I still intend to
do the compost pile though.

TIA, again

Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
Joseph Meehan

The combination of brown and green compost faster than either by itself.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 11-08-2003, 06:07 AM
Travis

John DeBoo wrote:
New question grass clippings. I intend to use some in the
compost bin along with other garden greens & browns etc but as
I was adding them I got to thinking - why not add some directly
to the
unused garden area now and mix them with the dirt so they
breakdown(?) and may be ready for next years crop of goodies?

That works and you could plant a fall cover crop also.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 11-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Warren

John DeBoo wrote:

New question grass clippings. I intend to use some in the
compost bin along with other garden greens & browns etc but as I was
adding them I got to thinking - why not add some directly to the
unused garden area now and mix them with the dirt so they
breakdown(?) and may be ready for next years crop of goodies? Soil
is sand & a lot of clay so it sticks in clumps as hard as concrete.

Here's a radical thought: Why not leave them on the grass?

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 11-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:47:39 -0600, John DeBoo
wrote:

[...]

The action of making compost will produce a biologically superior
product. Congratulations on making the first step in developing a
vastly improved garden.

Here is a helpful link in building a successful thermophilic
(superior) pile.

http://www.gardenplace.com/content/c...lch_calc.html#

Old 11-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Beecrofter

The herbacide clopyralid is the one that seems most persistant in
grass clippings.
You can test for it's presence in compost by how it affects the
germination and growth of garden peas.
The more residue present the more stunted and distorted the pea
foliage is.
At 75 parts per billion they really look bad.
It does hang around far longer than desirable.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Beecrofter

This link will take you to photographs of clopyralid damaged seedlings .
On the same site are testing protocols.
The search term used to find this information was "clopyralid testing"

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt...r%20Plants.htm
Old 12-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Chris Owens

John DeBoo wrote:

[...]

The only problem with that idea is, if the clippings include
seed, you're tilling it right in where you don't want it to
grow. Other than that, this plan works just fine; we till in our
crops every fall in the veggie beds with no problem at all.

Chris Owens

Old 12-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Grandpa

Warren wrote:
John DeBoo wrote:

New question grass clippings. I intend to use some in the
compost bin along with other garden greens & browns etc but as I was
adding them I got to thinking - why not add some directly to the
unused garden area now and mix them with the dirt so they
breakdown(?) and may be ready for next years crop of goodies? Soil
is sand & a lot of clay so it sticks in clumps as hard as concrete.

Here's a radical thought: Why not leave them on the grass?

Because I prefer to use them as compost for my garden if possible. My
lawn grows nicely so no need to fix what isn't broken. The garden OTOH
could use some help.

Old 15-08-2003, 06:07 AM

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:59:45 -0400, Chris Owens
wrote:

John DeBoo wrote:

[...]

I just recently learned that I should mulch my grass clippings, leaving
them on the lawn. I was bagging the grass early on basically to use as
mulch in the garden. When I started doing that the grass now needs cut
every two or three days and looks better than in July when we had above
average rainfall by 2.88 inches. At our current rate we will be about
average for August.

Contrary to what many people believe, mulching the clippings does not
contribute to thatch build up.

sparkie

[IMG] code is On

Novice question about grass clippings Prithviraj Dasgupta Gardening 7 08-07-2004 03:02 PM
Grass clippings as mulch? Sam United Kingdom 4 19-05-2004 10:15 PM
Leave grass clippings on site? (not composting this year) pgh Gardening 3 17-04-2003 01:32 PM
Grass Clippings Paul Smart Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Grass Clippings Paul Smart Australia 7 29-03-2003 04:32 PM