GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   planting english walnuts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/40143-planting-english-walnuts.html)

matt 11-08-2003 09:32 AM

planting english walnuts

greetings,

we live in northern va (zn:6, fairly acidic clay like soil) and was
interested in growing some english walnut trees. we can devote about
1/3 of an acre to this orchard. any questions that could be answered
would be appreciative.

1) does anyone know the proper distance to planting these trees?
2) what is the ratio males to females that must be planted for proper
polination?
3) at what season should we begin planting? month?
4) does anyone have a good nursery they can recommend with hardy
specimens?
5) are they succeptible to any diseases?
6) how do they fare against deer?
7) we live on septic so i'm curious how far from our leach field would
be considered a "safe" distance to plant these trees.

much thanks!

dstvns 11-08-2003 10:12 AM

planting english walnuts

On 11 Aug 2003 01:25:43 -0700, (matt) wrote:

we live in northern va (zn:6, fairly acidic clay like soil) and was
interested in growing some english walnut trees. we can devote about
1/3 of an acre to this orchard. any questions that could be answered
would be appreciative.

1) does anyone know the proper distance to planting these trees?

About 30 feet apart

2) what is the ratio males to females that must be planted for proper
polination?

Two separate trees will cross-pollinate each other. I don't believe
they are dioceous.

3) at what season should we begin planting? month?

Spring is best, just before sprouting.

6) how do they fare against deer?

Very well when older, but I would protect new growth (5 ft or less)
with lots of netting so that deer don't over-browse it (re-adjust
netting every week or so, so they leaves have room to spread). The
walnuts will grow quickly if they like your area, which it sounds like
they will.

Dan

Chris Owens 12-08-2003 01:42 AM

planting english walnuts

matt wrote:

greetings,

we live in northern va (zn:6, fairly acidic clay like soil) and was
interested in growing some english walnut trees. we can devote about
1/3 of an acre to this orchard. any questions that could be answered
would be appreciative.

1) does anyone know the proper distance to planting these trees?

60-100' from trunk to trunk . . . a third of an acre is room
enough for 2-3 trees

2) what is the ratio males to females that must be planted for proper
polination?

You don't have male and female trees; however, you will generally
get better production if you plant trees of more than one
variety, as self-fertility is often low.

3) at what season should we begin planting? month?

October

4) does anyone have a good nursery they can recommend with hardy
specimens?
5) are they succeptible to any diseases?

blight; but it's rare

6) how do they fare against deer?

Just fine once they reach appreciable size; you'd need to protect
them for several years

7) we live on septic so i'm curious how far from our leach field would
be considered a "safe" distance to plant these trees.

100 ft.

Chris Owens